cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you using the Microsoft co-authoring beta for Dropbox? Share your feedback and learn more about it here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to move my main folder back to the Dropbox folder

How to move my main folder back to the Dropbox folder

MPM
Explorer | Level 4

Hello, for some reason I suddenly find my main Folder (MERCE) in the Backup Folder, instead of being located as before inside Dropbox.

C:\users\***\dropbox\MERCE (before it was like this), see below. It appears inside My PC (***).

I use Windows 10

I don't know how I should move the main folder MERCE into the DROPBOX location, and outside the Dropbox Backup, or if I could do a copy and move it to DROPBOX location.

This error produces that when accessing from another computer via dropbox online version, sometimes I cannot edit, download, move etc. because of course it's not in the right place.

Now:

MPM_0-1698778143797.png

MPM_1-1698778411171.png

Thank you for helping me!

7 Replies 7

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey there, @MPM, thanks for posting here today! 

Can you clarify what the path is for your Dropbox folder, when accessing your app's preferences

Do you get any errors when trying to move the folder, outside of your Backup?

Keep me posted, and we'll take it from there!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

MPM
Explorer | Level 4

Hi @Megan

Thank you for your support.

Please see here the path in preferences and down where my folders are now (in the Backup under MyPC (MerceAcer)

I did try some weeks ago to move my main folder MERCE intro dropbox but after a while a message popped up saying something I cannot remember.

I did not dare to try again, but I will try again and let you know.

Below the path:

Megan_0-1698959550752.jpeg

MPM_1-1698954484398.jpg

Thank you for helping me.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @MPM, thanks for the screenshots!

So, on the first screenshot you can see the path of your Dropbox folder, where it is located inside your computer.

On the second screenshot, it looks like we're referring to your Computer Backup, and the name of the actual device, hence you see the name there. 

If you wish, you can disable Backup, and just keep a copy of the content, inside your Dropbox folder instead. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

MPM
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Megan,

Thank you, your solution is what I would like, but I'm afraid that if I disable the backup I may loose all the information because i will not have a back up.

Or should I first do a copy of the information in the Backup?

Or is it that when I disable the backup this information moves to the path in the 1st screenshot?

I have a confusion also: We can see the information in the Backup but why I cannot see the original information somewhere and only the backup?

Sorry with this bombarding questions but with your help I start to see a closer solution but still have some things I don't really understand.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

When you disable your Backup, its content will move back to their original paths if you choose that option when disabling it @MPM

When you say original information, can you clarify what you mean by that? Which folders are you referring to? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

MPM
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Megan,

Ok to the first answer.

Second, when I refer to original information I mean my files. I thought that when you have files in Dropbox there are 2 places with information: one with the files and if you have the backup activated those files are copied also in the backup folder, so actually you have two files: the visible ones and the ones stored automatically as a copy (backup).

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hey @MPM! Hope it’s OK to jump in here.

When backing up your computer folders to Dropbox (Desktop/Downloads/Documents), what’s happening is that these folders are moved within your Dropbox directory, so any changes you make are directly synced and backed up to your Dropbox account (so there’s only one copy of them). 

When disabling backup, you basically stop syncing them to Dropbox, and you can also choose to move them back to their original locations on your device.

Hope that helps!

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Nancy Dropbox Staff
    MPM Explorer | Level 4
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?