cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How to download all Dropbox files into an extra external drive?

How to download all Dropbox files into an extra external drive?

KH18
Explorer | Level 4

How to download all Dropbox folders + files into an extra external hard disk?

I need to keep sync folders + files in my C drive.

To back up all the folders + files in my extra external hard disk directly from the Dropbox web (Not from the C drive).

I lost files in the Dropbox before and that is not secured only sync in the C drive.

It showed "Attempted to zip too many files."

Please help.

5 Replies 5

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi there, @KH18, let's jump right into this! 

If I understand this correctly, it sounds like you wish to download your entire Dropbox content using the website, am I right? 

If not, feel free to clarify for me. 

I'd definitely suggest our desktop app, since it'd make things simpler. But since you want to use our website, please keep in mind that you can only download a folder if it's less than 250 GB (uncompressed) and has fewer than 10,000 total files.

Is it possible that your content was larger than that? 

Let me know more, I'll be waiting for your reply! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Rich
Super User II

@KH18 wrote:

How to download all Dropbox folders ... directly from the Dropbox web ... It showed "Attempted to zip too many files."

There is no way to download all of your data in one shot through the web site if you have a lot of files. The limit for downloading files as a Zip is less than 250GB and fewer than 10,000 files. Anything more than that and you'll get the error that you encountered. You simply need to download fewer files/folders at a time until you have all of your data.

The better option is to allow all of your files to sync to your computer, mark them as Available Offline, and then copy them to your external drive.

KH18
Explorer | Level 4

KH18_0-1716011997950.png

I have no idea most of the files with this icon. 

I cannot open it in the hard disk drive. 

Some files lost.

KH18
Explorer | Level 4

If I understand this correctly, it sounds like you wish to download your entire Dropbox content using the website, am I right?  >> Yes

Is it possible that your content was larger than that?  Yes

my personal dropbox space is "Using 0.9 TB of 2 TB"

KH18_0-1716011997950.png

I have no idea most of the files with this icon. 

I cannot open it in the hard disk drive. 

Some files lost.

Mark
Super User II

Hi @KH18 

That icon is not a Dropbox one. It is a OneDrive icon. That means the files are either stored in OneDrive, or, were stored in OneDrive but not downloaded locally before you moved them. So actually they are an empty placeholder. 

You need to go back to OneDrive - either with those files, if it works, and try to download, or restore via OneDrive online and THEN once they are downloaded locally move to Dropbox

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Need more support?