cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I open an HTML document in Dropbox and go directly to an anchor tag

How can I open an HTML document in Dropbox and go directly to an anchor tag

PeterC66
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

My requirement is fairly complex, but to understand the issue better I have a simple test HTML file with

<a href="#xx">go to  xx</a>

at the top of the body, and an anchor

<a id="xx">

at the end of several pages of text. 

As expected, on DropBox clicking on "go to  xx" takes the browser down to the bottom of the text. 

On a normal server I would expect https://...#xx to open the page directly at the bottom of the text, but this does not seem to happen on DropBox.

This is important for me as my document is very long and I want to provide a quick way for users to open it at various points.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Dropbox ignores commands based upon HTML tags (in fact I'm quite shocked its rendering the page at all, I thought that had been disabled). There isnt a way round this that I know of 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Dropbox ignores commands based upon HTML tags (in fact I'm quite shocked its rendering the page at all, I thought that had been disabled). There isnt a way round this that I know of 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

PeterC66
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Thanks. Thinking about it I now realise that I should not expect DropBox to show HTML as I have a website for that! My document is actually in Word that I converted to PDF.  But as I could not reliably link to bookmarks in a PDF I switched to generating HTML. I should have thought a bit more about it before assuming to put it on DropBox.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

PeterC66 Explorer | Level 3
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?