cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Getting an error when trying to download a ".sys" file from a Dropbox link

Getting an error when trying to download a ".sys" file from a Dropbox link

nb1948
Explorer | Level 3

I was sent a Dropbox link by a trusted source.  I am to use it to download a ".sys" file for one of my commercial embroidery machines.  Every time I click on the link, I get a message that this kind of file can cause damage to my computer and therefore it will not be downloaded.  I have a Windows 11 Pro (64 Bit) PC.  Is it something in my system/security settings, or is it something Dropbox is requiring me to deal with differently?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II

@nb1948 wrote:

I went to my downloads page and found the warning and was able to do a grab.

That message is from your browser, not Dropbox. If you need the file and trust the source, click keep. Otherwise delete it.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @nb1948, thanks for reaching out to us.

It sounds like this is coming from your computer's system/security settings, indeed.

Just to be sure, can you send us a screenshot of the error, so we can have a look?

Thanks in advance!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

nb1948
Explorer | Level 3

nb1948_0-1715993060187.png

nb1948
Explorer | Level 3

When I click on the "download arrow" in the upper right corner, it offers me, "OPEN" and "SAVE AS".  When I click on "SAVE AS" I get a warning notification that this kind of file can cause damage to my computer and will not be downloaded. I've tried to do a screen shot of that warning, but it vanishes when I activate the screen grab.

nb1948
Explorer | Level 3

nb1948_0-1715993547777.png

Rich
Super User II

@nb1948 wrote:

That message is from your browser, not Dropbox. If you need the file and trust the source, click keep. Otherwise delete it.

Need more support?