cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error when opening shared links to files on Mac

Error when opening shared links to files on Mac

Kloper
New member | Level 2

I'm on a Mac (14.0) and when I try to use a link to a dropbox file link shared in a collective training document that should open other dropbox files, I get an error saying the link didn't work, when I click the "ask us for help" link in the error message it tells me that some 3rd party apps on my Mac may have issues opening files that are online-only. But - none of the files are online only.

I've double-checked my system preferences AND, the file icons on my desktop app show that they are downloaded.
How can I resolve?

3 Replies 3

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Kloper, thanks for letting us know about this.

Are you opening the link from the Dropbox folder on your computer or through our website?

Are the files in the link already saved to your Dropbox account? 

And if so, are you able to navigate to them from your local Dropbox folder or online as normal?

Let me know and we'll go from there.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Kloper
New member | Level 2

Hi there. Answers to your questions below:

Are you opening the link from the Dropbox folder on your computer or through our website?
I am trying to open the documents from a linked file. I've tried opening them through the app and through the web version. 

Are the files in the link already saved to your Dropbox account? The files are in a shared account.

And if so, are you able to navigate to them from your local Dropbox folder or online as normal? I can open the files if I go directly to the app or the website and search for them. Just not able to open them from the link sent to me in an email and from a list of links in a word document.

Hope that helps.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Kloper. we'd like some more clarification on what you;re trying to access. 

The linked file you received, is it on Dropbox? Was it a shared link to this file?

Could you clarify what you mean by 'shared account'? Do you mean a shared folder, or an account to which multiple people have the login credentials?

Are the links in the document shared links, or direct links to files on an account?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    Kloper New member | Level 2
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?