cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you using the Microsoft co-authoring beta for Dropbox? Share your feedback and learn more about it here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox App won't open, the only thing that opens is my Dropbox Folder.

Dropbox App won't open, the only thing that opens is my Dropbox Folder.

Preston J.
Explorer | Level 3

Dropbox app will not open. When I open the app it just opens the file explorer. I have already checked the Taskbar and it's not showing up there. I have also checked the taskbar setting and there is no option to show Dropbox application. 

Any help is greatly appreciated. 

Thank you,

Preston 

24 Replies 24

Rich
Super User II

@Preston J. wrote:

Dropbox app will not open. When I open the app it just opens the file explorer.

The app is already running. When it's running, trying to launch it again just opens your Dropbox folder. Open Task Manager and end task on the Dropbox processes you see, then relaunch it.

Preston J.
Explorer | Level 3

I closed all the dropbox tasks and then opened up the App and it did the same thing. Just took a minute and opened up the file explorer. 

HXF
New member | Level 2

you can try run again!

Preston J.
Explorer | Level 3

Re-running to application just opens up the file explorer. I can't get to the main Dropbox App. 

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Preston J., thanks for reaching out to our Community.

Are you perhaps looking to launch the Dropbox application interface that used to be available, that looked kind of like the website?

Because that was deprecated a while ago. Now, you can only access your Dropbox files through the Dropbox folder in your file explorer.

However, if the Dropbox icon in your system tray does not appear at all, perhaps the app is not really running.

Have you tried reinstalling it, to see if that helps?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Rich
Super User II

@Hannah wrote:

However, if the Dropbox icon in your system tray does not appear at all, perhaps the app is not really running.

Lately the system tray icon has been disappearing while Dropbox is still running. The only way I've found to bring the icon back is to end task on all the Dropbox processes and then launch the application again. As @Preston J. noted above, trying to launch it while the icon is gone and the processes still running simply opens the Dropbox folder, and doesn't restore the icon to the system tray.

Preston J.
Explorer | Level 3

I can access the web interface (not what I'm looking for). Again, as Rich said, I cannot see the icon on the tray. If I delete and reinstall will all my files be deleted/redownloaded? 

Walter
Dropbox Staff

No, reinstalling the app wouldn't be affecting the files you've stored in Dropbox @Preston J.  

While we're at it though, can you clarify your device's exact OS and if you had ever installed and ran the app normally on this computer? 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Uitlander
Explorer | Level 3

I am also experiencing this problem.

I am also on Windows 10 (build 19045.3448). Whenever I launch the dropbox client it takes me to File Manager.

I have tried:

•  Uninstalling the dropbox client, rebooting and reinstalling the dropbox client. The dropbox client takes me through the account login process and then exits. It does not appear in the system tray.
  • Using task manager to end the Dropbox client process. Then opening the Dropbox client from the windows menu. The client does not appear in the system tray.
  • Using task manager to end the Dropbox Service. Then opening the Dropbox client from the windows menu. The client does not appear in the system tray.

I need to access the client so that I can adjust my sync settings as my HDD is running out of space. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    swright4 New member | Level 2
    Uitlander Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?