cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Default search settings for mobile app.

Default search settings for mobile app.

dezormo
Explorer | Level 3

Currently when searching files on the Dropbox app (iPhone), I must also select a file type. If I don’t, my search returns unfiltered results of every type of file I have stored in my Dropbox account.

It hasn’t always been that way. Used to be, Dropbox assumed I was searching for a Word document (as opposed to pdf, jpg, etc., etc.).

I would like to set my own defaults for file type so that Dropbox automatically assumes I’m looking for a particular file type (Word document in my case) unless I manually select a different file type.

Additionally, I would like any other file type to show up AFTER my preferred file type results have been exhausted.

In other words, if I search for my Caesar Salad recipe, I want the word.doc file that is actually named that to be the first in the results, followed by any other word.docs that are similar. Only AFTER that should a picture I once took of a Caesar salad show up.

I made a screen shot video of my app where I searched for my Caesar salad recipe a week or so ago. I had to scroll through no less than 30 images of food, about half of which had absolutely nothing in the file name about “Caesar salad”, or even “salad” for that matter.

This does mot occur at all on desktop searches (MacBook Air). I get super accurate results on my laptop, especially when I select the “occurs in title” filter. I’m only having difficulty on the mobile app.

15 Replies 15

dezormo
Explorer | Level 3

Hey Megan,

I should've been more clear. I only use the app when on my iphone. When on my MacBook, I exclusively use the Finder which is Apple's native app, nothing to do with Dropbox.

I also wanted to mention I don't have this problem with every search. Much of the time the search results are pretty accurate. In fact, as I'm writing this, I've searched a couple other common files and the results are accurate. And then when I search Caesar Salad, I get the same wonky results.

Could it be on my end? Maybe there's something peculiar with certain ones of my Word files? Or maybe where they're located in my specific directory tree?

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @dezormo, sorry to jump in here, but could you clarify the OS version  of your iPhone and the version of the Dropbox mobile app installed there as well? 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

dezormo
Explorer | Level 3

Oh! Yes, I think y'all asked me that already and I forgot. iOS is 16.6.1, Dropbox version 346.4.2

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

@dezormo, is it OK if we log a ticket for you, so that we can investigate this further?

If yes, we can message you to this email address.

Let me know.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

dezormo
Explorer | Level 3
Absolutely. I was hoping you would!

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Awesome, @dezormo! Please check your email address, when you can, and reply back to my email.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Nancy Dropbox Staff
    dezormo Explorer | Level 3
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?