cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Default search settings for mobile app.

Default search settings for mobile app.

dezormo
Explorer | Level 3

Currently when searching files on the Dropbox app (iPhone), I must also select a file type. If I don’t, my search returns unfiltered results of every type of file I have stored in my Dropbox account.

It hasn’t always been that way. Used to be, Dropbox assumed I was searching for a Word document (as opposed to pdf, jpg, etc., etc.).

I would like to set my own defaults for file type so that Dropbox automatically assumes I’m looking for a particular file type (Word document in my case) unless I manually select a different file type.

Additionally, I would like any other file type to show up AFTER my preferred file type results have been exhausted.

In other words, if I search for my Caesar Salad recipe, I want the word.doc file that is actually named that to be the first in the results, followed by any other word.docs that are similar. Only AFTER that should a picture I once took of a Caesar salad show up.

I made a screen shot video of my app where I searched for my Caesar salad recipe a week or so ago. I had to scroll through no less than 30 images of food, about half of which had absolutely nothing in the file name about “Caesar salad”, or even “salad” for that matter.

This does mot occur at all on desktop searches (MacBook Air). I get super accurate results on my laptop, especially when I select the “occurs in title” filter. I’m only having difficulty on the mobile app.

15 Replies 15

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @dezormo, I hope you're doing well!

Your feedback regarding this has been very valuable and I will endeavor to make sure your voice is heard.

I will pass on your comments to the relevant departments so that we can further improve our product.

If you need anything else, let me know! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

dezormo
Explorer | Level 3

Thank you Megan. I do want to make sure it's understood that there also seems to be something wonky with the filters. I can send the screen shot video I mentioned in my post if it helps. But I would like it to also be known that search results on the mobile app do not do an accurate job of filtering results in order of most relevant.

In the video I made, one can see that the first 30 or so items in the search results don't even have the word "Caesar" or even "salad" in the filename. And only half of them are even images of salads. It would seem to me that even if the document settings were set to "all", my "Caesar Salad" Word doc file should still have been the first item in the search results simply because it is most relevant by file name.

There doesn't seem to be a way for me to attach a file to this message; if the little 17 second video I made would be helpful, please let me know how I can send it and I'll be happy to do so. The file size is 34MB.

Thanks for your help!

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @dezormo, some screenshots would definitely be helpful! 

You should be able to click the camera-like icon when responding back to me, in order to attach your pictures here. Can you give it a go? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

dezormo
Explorer | Level 3

I see the camera icon. Unfortunately the video I made isn't a file type supported. The list of file types seems to only be image files.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Is it possible to send us screenshots instead of a video, @dezormo?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

dezormo
Explorer | Level 3

Here are a few screenshots I just took of the same search. I had to scroll down 35 items down the results to find the first result that was relevant to the search by filename. All the others were pictures of food, mostly salads, that I have in my files that have absolutely nothing in the filename to do with "Caesar" or even "salad".IMG_7215.PNGIMG_7216.PNGIMG_7219.PNG 

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the screenshots, @dezormo.

Do you see the same if you tap on 'account', then on the gear icon and then on 'clear cache'?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

dezormo
Explorer | Level 3

Yes I do. I just tried it, same results.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for letting us know @dezormo!

If you could also try the same keyword online, and send us a few screenshots, that'd be lovely. 

Also, what is the OS you're using on your end, and the version of the Dropbox app there? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Nancy Dropbox Staff
    dezormo Explorer | Level 3
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?