cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corrupted Word Documents

Corrupted Word Documents

GillW
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I am at my wit's end!  I didn't realise that DropBox would corrupt files.  I now have several Word documents in a folder that I need for my course work assessment which are no longer Word documents and which won't open.  I'm actually really worried - I trusted DropBox and am actually thinking I shouldn't have...Can anyone tell me what has happened please?

GillW_0-1614205486857.png

Also my tutor is unable to open the PDF files - they open with a padlock and are so tiny he can't read them...he is one of those listed as being able to open them (TM ).

Please help me - I need all this for my assessment and am now seriously worried.

Thank you.

24 Replies 24

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @holpolshuf, do you use any other cloud services along with Dropbox?

This is a Windows icon and not a Dropbox icon. Keep in mind that while in File Explorer, a gray “X” icon can appear in a file or folder in your Dropbox folder sometimes.

It indicates that your file or folder may not be syncing with Dropbox.

To fix this, please try the steps in this article about fixing syncing issues in Dropbox. If that doesn’t fix it, you can also contact Microsoft support.

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

holpolshuf
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I sometimes use Google Drive, but none of the corrupted files are in Drive or came from Drive.  There were no disk issues, so moving on to attempt all the other fixes.  

jhoney12
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Yay! Even though the issue was for someone else, we benefited from the solution as well. Thanks to everyone for the help!

Chloemaryland
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have Word documents in Dropbox on my desktop that when I attempt to open them, I receive this message:

Word was unable to read this document. It may be corrupt. Try one or more of the following:  Open and Repair the file. Open the file with the Text Recovery converter.

I can't figure out how to repair them. The same files on my phone in Dropbox are fine. Help, please!

holpolshuf
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

You should read Megan's suggestions to me since I posted the exact same issue.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

holpolshuf Explorer | Level 4
    Chloemaryland New member | Level 2
    jhoney12 Explorer | Level 3
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?