cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Metada regarding files

Can I get the actual creation date of the file, and not just the upload date?

vicw
Explorer | Level 4

I am not understanding how I can find out details on when a file was created. For example I have uploaded 714 PDF files today to a Folder PDF_11_10. When I look at the folder ALL the files show a modified date of today.

Is there a way to get the actual creation date of each file and NOT just upload date. I have followed the instructions for 'file info' on Metadata but no luck.

I would appreciate any solutions. Running on WIN11 with Dropbox PRO.

Thanks, 

Vic 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II

@vicw wrote:

Is there a way to get the actual creation date of each file and NOT just upload date.

It depends on how the files were uploaded. If you uploaded the files to Dropbox.com through a web browser, then the creation and modified dates are the date you uploaded them. In order words, uploads through a browser do not retain the original dates.

If you need to retain the creation and modified dates on a file, you need to use the Dropbox application on a computer and allow the files to sync from your local Dropbox folder.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Rich
Super User II

@vicw wrote:

Is there a way to get the actual creation date of each file and NOT just upload date.

It depends on how the files were uploaded. If you uploaded the files to Dropbox.com through a web browser, then the creation and modified dates are the date you uploaded them. In order words, uploads through a browser do not retain the original dates.

If you need to retain the creation and modified dates on a file, you need to use the Dropbox application on a computer and allow the files to sync from your local Dropbox folder.

vicw
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks for that. Yes I was using web to Dropbox upload. 

Need more support?