cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Cannot anymore open .kdbx file stored in Dropbox with KeePassDroid

Android: Kdbx files can only opened with Google Drive-PDF-Viewer which is wrong!

kitingChris
Helpful | Level 6

Why can I open Keepass *.kdbx files only with Google Drive-PDF-Viewer?? It is no PDF. Why does the dropbox app does not let me choose a different App to open the file with? Why not use the android default app open selection??

55 Replies 55

leftbrainstuff
New member | Level 2

Just noticed this too. It appears that either Dropbox is not populating the usual cache location on Android or that Android has updated to not associate kdb files with Keepass. I did notice Dropbox doing an update just before this issue occurred. I tried reseting make available offline in Dropbox but that didn't work. Exporting the kdb file to the Android file system and then opening the file gave me the option to use Keepass. So the problem is Dropbox related not Keepass related. So the previous guidance to contact the app developer is bogus. I noticed just yesterday that Dropbox has added a document sign and pin protection for individual files option so looks like some big Dropbox changes.

yaron1
New member | Level 2

Having the same issue with version 200.2  Keepass files open as PDF.

The workaround by toggeling offline works. There is an option to select how to open the file.

@Jay, 

You explanation here seems incorrect:

"If the Keepassdroid app isn't showing as an option when opening via Dropbox, then it means that the developer would need to look into this, since the Android device doesn't have the extension registered to that app"

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-files-folders/Android-Kdbx-files-can-only-opened-with-Google...

If this were true then the workaround using offline mode should not have worked. There shouldn't have been an option to choose to open KDB/KDBX files with Keepass regardless if we are in offline mode or online mode.

Please talk to DropBox developers to fix this.

Marcus W.6
New member | Level 2
This needs to be fixed. The only thing that works is in Dropbox, toggling offline off and on, as suggested by another user. There are no other valuable suggestions in this thread. It seems clear to me that it is a Dropbox bug.

Why would you not want to open a
.kdb or .kdbx file using the apps you have registered as default in the Android os?
Why would you want to open them using a pdf viewer?

It is odd that the issue is not acknowledged. Let's hope it gets fixed properly.

ThomasTheTrain
New member | Level 2

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

This has resolved my issue of not being able to open Keepass from within Dropbox.

It has driven me crazy, Dropbox would only display the Drive PDF Viewer open to Open With, and wouldn't allow me to change it to anythinge else.

Works for me on a plain Moto G5S...

ThomasTheTrain
New member | Level 2

So, this is a good warning to all of us who have found our way to this thread to store these notes in a place where you can review them if the need to remove and replace Dropbox and/or keepassdroid arises, and keepass is no longer the default app.

adamandevil
New member | Level 2

Hello,

I have the same issue, which has been bugging me for a long time. I have tried all of the ideas mentioned here. Some work, but only temporarily. I have tried checking file associations, clearing data, uninstalling/reinstalling the app. Still the issue continues to occur.

I have a Moto G7, Android version 10, and I use the Dropbox app, version 202.2.2, and KeePassDroid app, version 2.5.12.

I have a fix for this which has helped _me_ on _my_ device. It might work for you, it might not. It might be temporary, it might be permanent. You may need to apply the fix again periodically. YMMV.

1.) Export the .kdbx file from Dropbox to your device.

2.) Launch FX file explorer app. (If you do not use FX, you can try other file explorers if you want. However, the one with which I tested this fix is FX. I can't vouch for any others.)

3.) Navigate to your exported .kdbx file. (Mine was exported to my Download folder. This might be different for you and your device.)

4.) Tap the .kdbx file, wait for the "Open As" dialog to appear, then tap the "OPEN AS" link at the bottom right of that dialog.

5.) Tap the entry labeled "*/* (application/* )".

6.) The "OPEN WITH" dialog should then appear. Under the "OPEN WITH APPLICATION" section, find and tap "KeePassDroid".

7.) The KeePassDroid app should then open your .kdbx file. At this point you can close FX and KeePassDroid. Or, keep them open if you want. Not sure if it makes a difference. Either way, continue to the last step.

8.) Go back to Dropbox and try opening the .kdbx file directly from Dropbox. It should now open directly in KeePassDroid.

Hope this helps.

- Adam

kitingChris
Helpful | Level 6

keepassdroid is still the default app in android for kdbx files. 

I switched now to nextcloud and it works well. 

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

Hey everyone, thanks for checking in with us and sorry to hear that you're still having trouble with this. 

In order to have a better look into this matter with you, could you please submit a ticket to our team here, and let us know the ID (eg. #1234567) associated with it? 

If you can't create a ticket, just let us know and we'd be more than happy to send you one. 

Keep us posted!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

DrRob
Explorer | Level 4

Did you mean to link to a ticket-creation page?

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

That's right, @DrRob

To help out a bit more though, I've sent you a ticket, so when you get the chance, check your inbox for my latest message and we'll take it from there. 

I look forward to hearing back from you!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Need more support?