cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aliases of shared files stored on Dropbox not listed on Adobe Acrobat

Aliases of shared files stored on Dropbox not listed on Adobe Acrobat

kfinntia
Explorer | Level 3

In Dropbox, I have created aliases of several frequently-used files. I stick an asterisk * in front of the aliases' file names, so they show up at the top when appearing in alphabetical order. (Tthe mother node file is a book title that starts with 'W' and so it's way down a huge long list of files.)

In Acrobat, which has Dropbox (Personal) fil storage added, *none* of my alias file names show up. Hopefully this isn't normal! Any suggestions?

Details:

MacBook Air M3 running Acrobat Pro 2024.001.20643, MacOS Sonoma 14.3
iMac M1 running Acrobat Pro  v2024.001.20615, MacOS  Sonoma 14.2.1

Air & iMac are both running Dropbox v196.4.6900

Thanks in advance!
3 Replies 3

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey there, @kfinntia, let's jump right into this! 

Keep in mind that aliases are generally not supported with us.

Also, based on what you described, this seems to be an issue that could most likely be coming directly from Acrobat, but let's see what we can find together. 

Are you able to see these aliases synced to your account online? I'm asking, because the asterisk * usually prevents files from syncing. You can see more about that here

I'd also appreciate a screenshot of these aliases, and what you see on your end when using Acrobat. 

Keep me posted, and we'll take it from there!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

kfinntia
Explorer | Level 3

Hi, Megan: Thank you for responding!

1. I had no idea aliases weren't generally supported on Dropbox. 😞 

2. There are undoubtedly *many* issues originating with Acrobat!

3. When I open Dropbox from my Finder (Mac OS), this is what is displayed; the Folders beginning with * or ** are the ones I want to see at the top of my long directory of folders. They are just marked as Type = Alias. This is what I would love to see on the Acrobat app, and on Dropbox from a browser window 

Image 4-8-24 at 10.34 AM.jpg

4. I renamed Edition 2 alias to have an "a" in front, and it shows up in my Finder window, but not in Dropbox from browser window or on Acrobat app. (The 2 folders beginning with * in this view are just renamed that to push them to the top; they aren't aliases.)

Image 4-8-24 at 10.38 AM.jpg

 

5.  All the asterisked alias folders show up at the very bottom of the directory listings on Dropbox Finder window and Acrobat app; they seem to be labelled with a little--spaceship?--icon, and won't open:

Image 4-8-24 at 10.42 AM.jpg

Image 4-8-24 at 10.43 AM.jpg

  

6. As far as I recall, it's always folders, not individual files that I'm trying to make aliases of and stuff up at the top of my Dropbox directory.

Thank you for whatever insight (or fixes) you can offer to all this!

Keep in mind that aliases are generally not supported with us.

Also, based on what you described, this seems to be an issue that could most likely be coming directly from Acrobat, but let's see what we can find together. 

Are you able to see these aliases synced to your account online? I'm asking, because the asterisk * usually prevents files from syncing. You can see more about that here

I'd also appreciate a screenshot of these aliases, and what you see on your end when using Acrobat. 

Mark
Super User II

I strongly suspect that as you are using Aliases it isnt going to work - Dropbox doesnt support them and cant offer help/advice on them. Note as well that these wont be syncing to the cloud as Dropbox doesnt follow aliases. 

What you need to do is move the files in to Dropbox and alias from original location, or, update Adobe to point its directory to Dropbox

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
    kfinntia Explorer | Level 3
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?