cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Storage Full" error even though there is lots of space left

"Storage Full" error even though there is lots of space left

JaisyCT
New member | Level 2

I am using 391.1 MB of space on a basic plan with 2.0 GB of space.  It says I have 1.6 GB unused.  I do not think what I am trying to download into Dropbox is greater than 1.6.  It is telling me that my Dropbox is full. What can I do?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II

Hi @JaisyCT 

You cannot add a folder to an account if it will put you over quota. You also cannot edit/change what is in a folder until you have it in your account - and remember deleting it for you would delete for everybody. So, you can ask somebody else to delete things to make it smaller or if you need to just get read only access ask for a Shared Link instead. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @JaisyCT, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Could you check your account's plan page, and let me know what it reports there? Also, are you trying to download a folder? And if so, is this folder a shared one, by any chance?

Is it possible you have a backup enabled and visible on this page on your account?

Let me know more! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

JaisyCT
New member | Level 2

This is what is says on my plan page - 

Dropbox Basic Free
Upgrade
2 GB of storage to help you store and share files.
Personal Dropbox space Using 391.1 MB of 2 GB
Regular files (0 bytes)
Backup (0 bytes)
Replay (0 bytes)
Shared files (391.1 MB)
Unused space (1.6 GB)

I am trying to download a shared file.  I do not have the backup enabled.  
I appreciate any help you can give me.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the additional information @JaisyCT, could you send us a screenshot of the exact error you're getting and clarify how large is the file you're trying to download? 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

JaisyCT
New member | Level 2

I found out that the shared folder that I am trying to download is 1.98 GB.  I probably do not have enough space to download that as I am using 391.1 MB already in my 2.0 GB plan.  There are 21 duplicate songs downloaded that I can not seem to delete because they were shared with me and I do not own them.  Is there a way to delete them?  That might free up enough space - or maybe it won't.  I do not want to have a paid plan.  I might need to see if they can share the folder in another way.

Mark
Super User II

Hi @JaisyCT 

You cannot add a folder to an account if it will put you over quota. You also cannot edit/change what is in a folder until you have it in your account - and remember deleting it for you would delete for everybody. So, you can ask somebody else to delete things to make it smaller or if you need to just get read only access ask for a Shared Link instead. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
    JaisyCT New member | Level 2
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?