cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Why is dropbox taking up so much space on my iPad pro?

Why is dropbox taking up so much space on my iPad pro?

Penickart
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

This might be the wrong category, but it was the closest I could find that seemed to fit. 

My iPad is set to store files online only. I tried to research this as much as I could before coming here and starting this thread, but I'm no expert, so maybe I'm missing something obvious? When I check the app, it says I have zero files accessible offline, which is how it should be, and yet when I check my apps, it says the dropbox is taking up a whopping 158gb of space on my 1tb hard drive. It's the biggest storage hog by more than triple the next largest app (Clip Studio Paint - I'm an artist and I have lots of brushes, textures, etc... loaded into the app). I have cleared the cache on Dropbox a couple of times and that hasn't made much of any difference. I have restarted my iPad as well and that hasn't made any difference either. 

I back up all my work files to dropbox more or less daily, plus reference material and any app specific stuff because I use Clip Studio on my Mac Pro as well, so dropbox is how I get things back and forth (I HATE mac's sync system - you couldn't pay me enough to use it, or time machine). I don't have the dropbox desktop app on my Mac pro either - I just use the internet to upload files (my Mac pro is too old to support the desktop app). 

Anyway, from everything I can tell, there should be no reason dropbox is taking up so much space. I would greatly appreciate someone helping me with what it seems I am obviously missing. My iPad pro is a 3rd generation 12.9 inch version and it's running iOS 17.6.1. As I mentioned before, it has a 1tb drive and I don't remember how much ram or what the processor chip is. Sorry.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Penickart
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

That seems to have done the trick. Thank you so much! I guess it was saving some kind of cache despite clearing it? Google Drive was doing the same thing, so I deleted it and just upload files via the browser. I feel like the dropbox app is too helpful to get rid of if I can help it though, so I'm glad this worked. Thanks again. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi there, @Penickart, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

This is indeed a bit strange, but let's see what we can find.

Does uninstalling the Dropbox app, restarting the iPad and then reinstalling it, help at all?

Let me know and we'll go from there.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Penickart
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

That seems to have done the trick. Thank you so much! I guess it was saving some kind of cache despite clearing it? Google Drive was doing the same thing, so I deleted it and just upload files via the browser. I feel like the dropbox app is too helpful to get rid of if I can help it though, so I'm glad this worked. Thanks again. 

Need more support?