cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shared Folder - Not Enough Space To Access Folder

Shared Folder - Not Enough Space To Access Folder

MattKSawyer
New member | Level 2

So I just started paying for DropBox specifically to allow myself and some online friends to upload/share larger files with each other.

I've got 1.9TB free.

However, my friends are reporting they can't access the folder I share with them with an error "Not enough space to access the folder". But I've got 1.9TB free. Why wouldn't they be able to access it?

Can't work it out. There doesn't appear to be any limits on the folder I'm sharing with them.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II

@MattKSawyer wrote:

... an error "Not enough space to access the folder". But I've got 1.9TB free. Why wouldn't they be able to access it?

You paid for an upgrade. They did not. Since the shared folder exists within their own account, they need to have enough space available in their own account to hold the folder and anything it contains.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Rich
Super User II

@MattKSawyer wrote:

... an error "Not enough space to access the folder". But I've got 1.9TB free. Why wouldn't they be able to access it?

You paid for an upgrade. They did not. Since the shared folder exists within their own account, they need to have enough space available in their own account to hold the folder and anything it contains.

MattKSawyer
New member | Level 2

Thanks for the reply Rich, appreciate the time.

I must say though, this design choice from DropBox makes no sense to me as I'm already paying to host the files. Why would my friend need more storage if they are reading/writing directly to my folder? Sounds mad that we'd have to pay for the same thing twice.

Either way, I guess I just have to accept this is just the way Dropbox works. Cancelled my account as doesn't provide the functionality I need.

Cheers for the speedy response 🙂

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

MattKSawyer New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?