cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Active/Passive sotrage space

No additional space on Business Advanced

ggtello
Helpful | Level 6

Dear community,

I'm here to advice that the support have been denying us additional space for two weeks, first telling us that there was a momentary problem, then that we had made a request before the 7 days, then again (after waiting 7 days) that there is a problem which however is not written by Nowhere.

We're really worried about that because they don't give us any timelines and the fact that the problem doesn't exist on the dropbox status page and that nobody else talks about it seems a bit suspicious.

I don't like writing these posts but we are really worried don't you think? Are any of you having similar problems? do they only have it with us?

615 Replies 615

jacoporicci
Helpful | Level 6

Still worth boycotting them as much as possible! This is one of the worst anti consumer behaviour I've seen in a long time. 

Andcut studio
Helpful | Level 5
Not that I would want to, but I am forced to find another solution.

jacoporicci
Helpful | Level 6

Same, will probably switch to a locally stored solution with off site backup and probably keep a very basic, low storage space, non dropbox, cloud for ongoing projects.

clintwb
Helpful | Level 7
We are liking the QNAP Thunderbolt 4 NAS solution. We can edit directly off the unit via thunderbolt but it has full NAS functionality. So we have those in remote offices and sync backups overnight.

That’s our direct solution for now but needs some more tweaking for sure.

Andcut studio
Helpful | Level 5
We ysed to have that as well at my previous workplace. And it was all interlinked with Dropbox. I know there are faster ways, but we had our reasons to do it this way.

cgi_ltd
Collaborator | Level 10

All I am going to say on this situation, is that I have been in IT for many years, and have developed lots of contacts over the years. Stunts like this will spread through the IT community. A friend of mine in the industry who is also a Dropbox Enterprise user, is terminating their $20,000 contract at the end of the year because of what they are doing. When people loose faith in a product, you don't want to protect your assets with that company. While I may be 1 person, the ripples of my experience will effect them as people trust my opinion and will look for other solutions. 

PhrediLtj
Helpful | Level 6

CrashPlan used to be the best (Unlimited for something like $7.99 a month), and did this same thing years ago. Their reasoning is the same reason Dropbox is going to use. We (meaning those of us that have more than 10TB's or it may be 20 now) are about .01% of their total users. We can be sacrificed. They are going to quickly find out that more and more folks are using lots of storage, but we are still a minority. They can risk losing us AND jack up the prices for others. Right now, I'm using Mega Pro-Flexi with 28TB's and I'm still at only $82 a month. My fingers crossed that they don't follow this trend as well. They are the last that I've found.

cgi_ltd
Collaborator | Level 10

If you storage is based on Windows, and that machine has direct access to the drives...the best option is Backblaze really. When I posted in their forum about using their unlimited plan to backup 200TB, an emoyee responded and said that was fine, and to them 200TB was not very much data. They said their biggest unlimited user has over 2PB backed up, and they are OK with that. They fully acknowledged the fact that with offering unlimited, your gonna have people you do NOT make money on. Their thinking is that 2PB person will willingly recommend people over to BB. They said from the start, if they stick to unlimited, they have to be ready to handle us people who are in the top 1%. For, $10/mo I think it is now, you really can't beat that. However, your discs have to be local, and they don't support NAS or network shares.

PhrediLtj
Helpful | Level 6
I have Backblaze for my entire system but you can’t stream from them unless you pay for the B2B and it’s an arm and a leg. But I agree, it’s the best for unlimited storage.

cgi_ltd
Collaborator | Level 10

While that's true, their new beta app for Windows now allows for direct file restores. No more **bleep** zip files which is a huge win.

Need more support?