cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: business advanced question.

No additional space on Business Advanced

ggtello
Helpful | Level 6

Dear community,

I'm here to advice that the support have been denying us additional space for two weeks, first telling us that there was a momentary problem, then that we had made a request before the 7 days, then again (after waiting 7 days) that there is a problem which however is not written by Nowhere.

We're really worried about that because they don't give us any timelines and the fact that the problem doesn't exist on the dropbox status page and that nobody else talks about it seems a bit suspicious.

I don't like writing these posts but we are really worried don't you think? Are any of you having similar problems? do they only have it with us?

615 Replies 615

dinosm
Helpful | Level 5

@DBXCommunityHello, it is not quite true that you can still request more storage. The storage increase has been locked to 1TB per running 30 day period, as chat support has told me. I was given 1TB extra on the 12th August, and all I am told is I can only have 1 more TB on the 12th September. Is that right or should support be giving me the space I am requesting?

Niitr0
Experienced | Level 12

it's real, until November, after that, we'll have to see because dropbox must contact us to find out what will happen next

Niitr0
Experienced | Level 12

@cgi_ltd hello , be careful the speed with box.com is very bad, I don't know if it comes from rclone and chunker, but people are starting to complain, the upload speed is much better on dropbox

jonsno
Explorer | Level 4

What happens if someone who has more than 35 TB/license brings the usage to under that limit. For e.g. if someone has 500 TB of data with 3 users but they delete 400 TB of that. Now there is only 100 TB left which is under the 35x3 = 105TB of limit. Even though the account is provisioned for 500TB will they be able to keep 100TB for 5 years at the current price?

VM Khan
Helpful | Level 6

Hi,
Today I requested a refund from dropbox.
I have decided to go back to google workspace. Where I have been upgraded to 15TB pool/user. and upgrade 5TB pool/user after 90 days.
I finished the NAS storage system, and used google workspace.

I don't have any reason to stay at Dropbox. Where I spend too much time coding the API to store my data, the server to run the code to transfer the data. (Over 180TB)
I stayed because I expected them to provide at least 35 TB pool/user. But that did not happen.

Goodbye everyone, I'll go first.

Eldon McGuinness
Collaborator | Level 9

I just wanted to post here what I have been able to find out thus far, in the event that it could help another IT administrator who is having the same issue connecting with someone at Dropbox that can offer more than wait and see in November. I spent a good amount of time of the past week trying to get a firm answer on what will be coming and...there is not one to be had, even at the corporate level. That being said, there are two major options being explored, at least from what I was able to find with my contacts with Dropbox. Once the 1- and 5-year marks are hit, based on your storage consumption levels per license, you will be given two options:

1. You will be able to "negotiate" a rate at which the bulk of your data will be stored, this means anything past the 5TB per license will be assessed a "negotiated" fee per month. The negotiated rate will be based VERY closely to the current rate of $10/TB/month but will vary based on the age of the account, number of seats, and amount of usage.

2. There will be a "negotiated" period where your data will be retained at a slightly elevated cost, this option is really to help those who are using the service and want to migrate to another provider. The cost will again be dependent on the above factors and will not be indefinite. There are talks of this being read-only, just as Google has recently done, but this is not a firm decision.

This in mind, I will suggest to all the actual businesses out there, which are using this service, to consider very carefully your IT mix and see if a possible increase is going to hit your company in a way that is unacceptable with your financial situation or is incongruent with your goals. While I cannot tell you what "negotiated" will be for you, I can tell you for a majority of those I consult with it will not be in their interest to keep using Dropbox. However, only you will be able to make that determination when the time comes.

On a side note, if you have a large number of users on a single account, we are talking 50 or more, you might want to consider the enterprise solutions, however, they are also scrutinizing new groups coming in as well. The larger you group and the lower your estimated use per seat is, the less hoops you will have to jump through, but again, this is all going to be up to you as to what you feel is an acceptable price for what Dropbox has to offer.

This is all that I have been able to garner from Dropbox at this time, however, it is enough for me and those I consult with to make decisions for our particular use cases going forward.

Niitr0
Experienced | Level 12
To do this, dropbox will end up with zero customers

danblaze
Helpful | Level 6
This is terrible, and all I can do is pray that I can make full use of the six-month buffer period and have enough time to migrate to a local storage cluster. Never have I felt so utterly worthless, tired of constantly moving from one cloud storage provider to another.

Niitr0
Experienced | Level 12

@danblaze hello , I am in the same situation, no other cloud storage service corresponds to my needs and locally I cannot find storage means allowing me to store so much data, I am completely blocked, I will wait for more information from dropbox but hey I'm still perplexed...

danblaze
Helpful | Level 6

Hi, @Niitr0 

My proposal is a minio cluster, located in the western region of the United States. I have discussed prices with a vendor, and I believe that we can store a sufficient amount of data at a reasonable cost. However, the issue is that not every user is capable of maintaining a multi-node cluster and resolving machine failures or disk replacement like I can.

One of the major reasons for choosing a cloud storage provider is the ease of use. You don't have to worry about hardware issues beneath the software layer. Now, I am forced to take a more complicated route. Another potential solution is iDrive e2, paired with a compatible cloud storage service like nextcloud, which supports S3 storage and can provide a decent experience.

Although these options cannot compare to the excellent experience I had with Dropbox, I don't have a better alternative. I have a lot of data, and it has been a frustrating migration process to move them all to Dropbox over time.

Need more support?