cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how you can find anything and protect everything? Check it out here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Mac Finder continues to show large size of Dropbox Folder despite everything being online-only

Mac Finder continues to show large size of Dropbox Folder despite everything being online-only

Brucknerphile
Explorer | Level 3

Hi, everyone. Thanks in advance for your help, wisdom, and support.

I have a problem several others have experienced, but none of the solutions I found here seem to be working. Simply put, I have around 300 GB in my Dropbox folder and have everything set to be online only (or so I assume?) Mac finder is still showing this 300 GB as being used, and it is affecting other uses that require a lot of space (video editing, audio sample packages, etc.) I do need that space back. "Space Lens" in CleanMyMac shows the proper amount of space used ( a bit under 500 GB of my 1TB built-in drive on my MacBook Pro M1.

Here are the specs: Macbook Pro M1; 16GB RAM; 1Tb drive

Dropbox Desktop Version: 204.4.5420

I have searched the Dropbox folder for the ".dropbox.cache" file, but it does not exist. Here is a screenshot of the only files that appear after invoking "shift-command-.":

Dropbox dot dropbox.png

Here is a screenshot (blurred for privacy concerns) of what the folder's directory looks like. Unless I'm mistaken, shouldn't all of these files be online only?:

Dropbox directory showing icons.png

The Dropbox directory resides in the "Cloudstorage" in the Library, which is precisely where I believe it should be.

Any help or insight the community can offer would be tremendously appreciated. Many thanks in advance!

JS

14 Replies 14

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Brucknerphile!

I just sent you an email to your Community-linked email address. 

I'll be more than happy to see you there, thanks! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Brucknerphile
Explorer | Level 3

Hi, Megan.

I'm afraid I didn't receive your direct email. Perhaps it was sent to the wrong address. Where can I find the "Community-linked email address" you mentioned in your last communication? I've checked all inboxes and spam folders. If necessary, I'm happy to share a different email address if we can find a mechanism to do so. 

Thanks!

JS

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Brucknerphile - the Community email address would be the one you see on this page.

Could you check that email address's inbox and junk/spam folder as well and let us know if you can find Megan's email? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Brucknerphile
Explorer | Level 3
Hi! Thanks for getting back to me.

The email listed is correct; nothing in spam or junk. Dropbox Community emails are getting through. Can you try again, or post an email at which I can reach out to Megan? Thanks!

JS

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Brucknerphile, can you check your email address again and let me know if you can see my email now?

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?