cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how you can find anything and protect everything? Check it out here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mac Finder continues to show large size of Dropbox Folder despite everything being online-only

Mac Finder continues to show large size of Dropbox Folder despite everything being online-only

Brucknerphile
Explorer | Level 3

Hi, everyone. Thanks in advance for your help, wisdom, and support.

I have a problem several others have experienced, but none of the solutions I found here seem to be working. Simply put, I have around 300 GB in my Dropbox folder and have everything set to be online only (or so I assume?) Mac finder is still showing this 300 GB as being used, and it is affecting other uses that require a lot of space (video editing, audio sample packages, etc.) I do need that space back. "Space Lens" in CleanMyMac shows the proper amount of space used ( a bit under 500 GB of my 1TB built-in drive on my MacBook Pro M1.

Here are the specs: Macbook Pro M1; 16GB RAM; 1Tb drive

Dropbox Desktop Version: 204.4.5420

I have searched the Dropbox folder for the ".dropbox.cache" file, but it does not exist. Here is a screenshot of the only files that appear after invoking "shift-command-.":

Dropbox dot dropbox.png

Here is a screenshot (blurred for privacy concerns) of what the folder's directory looks like. Unless I'm mistaken, shouldn't all of these files be online only?:

Dropbox directory showing icons.png

The Dropbox directory resides in the "Cloudstorage" in the Library, which is precisely where I believe it should be.

Any help or insight the community can offer would be tremendously appreciated. Many thanks in advance!

JS

14 Replies 14

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Sorry to see that you're having this issue, @Brucknerphile.

What is the current sync status of the Dropbox app, when you hover your mouse over the Dropbox icon in your menu bar?

Also, is the "online-only files on Mac" option enabled in your account settings here?

Let me know and we'll go from there.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Brucknerphile
Explorer | Level 3

Dear Hannah,

Thank you so much for your swift and speedy reply.

Hovering over the icon in the menu bar shows the software version and "up to date." However, the "online only files on Mac" toggle was not on. I tried that yesterday with no result as part of my due diligence before hopping on here, and there is no change this time either. Per the pop-up message, when I enabled the toggle, I waited a few minutes and restarted the desktop application. There is no change.

Thank you again, and I await your input.

JS

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Brucknerphile, could you right click the Dropbox folder and choose 'Get info' and attach that screenshot here?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Brucknerphile
Explorer | Level 3

Dear Jay,

Thank you so much for your input and help.

Please find the "get info" pop-up attached, as requested.

Thank you once again. I look forward to hearing from you.

JS

Dropbox Screenshot _GETINFO_2024-08-02 at 9.21.27 AM_EDITED.png

PS: I am aware that it is saying "1.9MB on disk", but Finder is still including all the space in its calculations.

JS

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hi again, @Brucknerphile!

Have you restarted your computer since enabling the "online-only files on Mac" setting?

Also, if the issue persists after the restart, can you right-click on a folder, make it "available offline" and then switch it again to "online-only", to see if that makes a difference?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Brucknerphile
Explorer | Level 3

Hi, Hannah,

Again, thank you for your help with this.

I have rebooted several times since changing the toggle to "online only Mac files," with no effect. As you instructed, I downloaded a few folders ("make available offline") and then changed them to online only. I'm afraid there was no difference, and I continued to check Finder space, etc., to see if anything was happening.

I'm happy to try whatever else you think might be helpful. I appreciate any help you can provide.

JS

Brucknerphile
Explorer | Level 3
Hi, everyone. This is peculiar. I received an email informing me that someone had contributed to this conversation, but I see no new messages or responses? As it is the weekend, I didn’t expect any action until tomorrow. Have I missed something? Please get back. BTW, the problem from the original post persists. Many thanks.

JS

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Brucknerphile, I hope you're doing well!

Can I send you an email, in order for us to have a closer look into this? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Brucknerphile
Explorer | Level 3
Absolutely, and thank you! Do you have my email? -JS
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Nancy Dropbox Staff
    Brucknerphile Explorer | Level 3
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?