cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Incorrect error message about available space

Incorrect out of space error message about available space when I try to add content to my account.

MikeMcGVO
Explorer | Level 4

I've recently started getting a "You're out of storage.  To copy this content you need more storage space." message when I try to save files from a browser (either Chrome or FF) directly to my Dropbox.  I've got the free 2gig account and all indicators (both through Windows explorer and my account on Dropbox) - show that I'm only taking up 378.7 meg of storage.  I just double-checked my backups and I have none (neither visible nor hidden/deleted).

I can still save the file 467k .pdf locally and then upload it to my Db through explorer without issue, so I can confirm that I truly do have enough room.

Any thoughts?

52 Replies 52

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @MikeMcGVO, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Could you clarify how large the files you're trying to save to your Dropbox account are?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

MikeMcGVO
Explorer | Level 4

Jay,

Thanks for the quick response.  They can be any size really (usually on the smaller .pdf/.docx size and type), but the file that prompted me to post after throwing the dialog box up was a 467k .pdf.

-Mike

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Could you clarify how you're copying files directly to your Dropbox account via the browser? Are you adding shared links to your account?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

MikeMcGVO
Explorer | Level 4

I'm just hovering over a file in someone else's shared Dropbox.  I get the two options; "Copy to Dropbox" and "Download".  Clicking "Copy to Dropbox" immediately throws up the dialog about being out of storage.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Are you certain of the file size? you can check this by changing the view to list view. 

Are you signed into the correct Dropbox account to add it to the right account?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

MikeMcGVO
Explorer | Level 4

Jay,

Yes - to both the size and correct account (I only have the one Dropbox account).

Going forward, just to save us some iterations on the 'simple' quesitons - I've got 20+ years of IT support experience.  Hence, feel free to talk tech. 🙂

MikeMcGVO
Explorer | Level 4

Jay,

I just got a Dropbox link from the same client as earlier and when I tried to pull down the file - it worked flawlessly.  So I went back and tried something different with the earlier link that was throwing the error.  Here's the behavior:

• Get a Dropbox link to an individual document (with the "Download" and "Edit" buttons in the upper left-hand corner) - saving to Db works perfectly.
  • Get a Db link to a folder (where "Copy to Dropbox" and "Download" appear when you hover over the file name) - saving to Db throws the storage space error
  • However - if I then double-click on the file so that it opens like the first bullet point above - it works perfectly.

So, there appears to be something particular about the folder view that's throwing it all a curve.  Hopefully this data point helps some.

-Mike

MikeMcGVO
Explorer | Level 4

Jay, or anyone else who happens to field this.  Has the previous behavioral datapoint helped at all?

swag
Explorer | Level 3

I received a link to join a shared Dropbox drive. But I get an error that says "I'm out of storage" even though I have 750Mb of storage left and the files I am joining to access are only 4Mb. Is this a bug with Dropbox, or are they finding every angle now to prompt upgrades for more storage... even if it's just for 4Mb? Something is either broken or shady with Dropbox here

Need more support?