cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inconsistencies regarding my available space and feedback about Dropbox

Inconsistencies regarding my available space and feedback about Dropbox

Phunkeesea
New member | Level 2

Sharing my experience with Dropbox: As a user on the free plan, I've encountered some ongoing issues that have made it difficult for me to consider upgrading. Every time I open my computer, Dropbox pops up and asks me to join again, which can be frustrating. Moreover, there has been a discrepancy between the storage space indicated on my computer (102 GB) and what is actually available for upload on my phone (23 GB). This inconsistency has left me feeling like they are playing games with their users.

I believe many of you can relate to similar experiences with various apps that seem more focused on profit rather than genuinely caring about their users. For me, it's crucial to have a reliable service that I can count on, especially when it comes to storing important files. Unfortunately, until I can trust that Dropbox will stop misleading me and provide a consistent service, I am not inclined to pay their monthly fee.

Additionally, I currently have an urgent need to back up my entire computer, but I've encountered a roadblock. The upload button that should allow for immediate file transfers is grayed out, preventing me from taking the necessary steps to safeguard my data. This lack of functionality further reinforces my decision to refrain from considering their monthly fee.

Thank you for taking the time to hear my frustrations. If you've had similar experiences or have recommendations for alternative cloud storage solutions, I would appreciate hearing from you!

PS I know this may seems petty, but trust me, I have a very good reason I need to have this space available to me tonight, like right now. I I am not going to get into the reason why, that is irrelevant. What is relevant is that if a company claims to have your back, but then, in reality, they do not,, then that’s something I feel the public needs to know about. I don’t just casually, flippantly, get on app support pages and make complaints like this because I’m bored, and I have nothing else to do. This is a major inconvenience to me, and I will just say this, dropbox has completely failed me tonight.

7 Replies 7

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Phunkeesea , thanks for your feedback today.

We can definitely look into this, because I'm sure there's something we're missing, so let's get into it.

When you say that Dropbox keeps asking you to join, can you please elaborate? Or better yet, if you can send us a screenshot of the pop-up, that would be really helpful.

About the discrepancy in your available space, is it possible that your devices are linked to different Dropbox accounts?

Do your account settings here show the same email address as on the Dropbox app on your phone?

Let me know and we'll go from there.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

LesleyHall
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Phunkeesea

I have exactly the same problem.  It seems as though Dropbox just want you to sign up.  I haven't added to my account since 2013 and all of a sudden I have no data space left.  Strange that, as it has been fine for the last 10 years!  A person from Dropbox seemed quite helpful to try to solve what is causing the problem but it seems the things she is asking me to check just don't exist.  I think I am going to give up with it and try to find a more stable alternative.  Good luck with sorting yours.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @LesleyHall, if your quota has run out without any input, is it possible you're a member of a shared folder where someone else has uploaded files? This does take up quota on your account.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

LesleyHall
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Jay

Other family members who have access to the account have not used it in a long time as well, to the point that they had forgotten they have access to Dropbox! So no, nothing has been added.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hope you don't mind me jumping in, @LesleyHall

Did you previously have any additional space, which has now expired, causing your Dropbox account to go over-quota perhaps?

Did you receive this message about not having more storage after trying to upload a new file/folder or did this happen all of a sudden, even though you had taken no actions on your Dropbox account?

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

LesleyHall
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Nancy

It happened all of a sudden.  I have not sent anything to my DropBox for the last 10 years.  I didn't get around to moving the data on it to somewhere else being as I don't use it, and haven't for the last 10 years!  Unless there are files in there I can't see...but what would be the point of that?

I really can't see any other reason for it to suddenly bombard me with links to 'upgrade' the account saying I'm out of storage space, other than that's what DropBox want me to do.  It's not the way to ask me to pay for storage that has been free in the past. If that was why it happened then why not say that is what they want me to do? It just doesn't make sense!

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @LesleyHall, thanks for the additional info.

Is your space all used up indeed? What does the plan tab in your account settings show?

Are you still receiving these emails?

And have you checked the size of your files in Dropbox, to see which ones are taking up your space?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    LesleyHall Explorer | Level 4
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?