cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox doesn't work well when I need to backup large filesets

Dropbox doesn't work well when I need to backup large filesets

sesteynh
New member | Level 2

I want to use dropbox to backup large filesets from NFS mounted drives directly to dropbox.  The single point of failure of this for me is that when I attempt to copy/move files that are larger than what is available on C:\  where dropbox app is installed, this becomes a single point of failure becuz my C;| is very small (500GB)  versus the 2TB of files that I am trying to back up. In my opinion this is a show stopper for me for using dropbox as a DRaaS appliance.  You need to engineer this seemlessly to not rely on C:\ as a caching device for the copy...

2 Replies 2

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @sesteynh, thanks for reaching out to the Dropbox Community.

We definitely appreciate you taking the time to post your feedback about your experience with this.

I will make sure to pass your comments along to our team.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

sesteynh
New member | Level 2

There is actually a very simple solution to this situation that maybe you should inform your support techs of.  If a user is backing up or moving large content that is larger than the NTFS C:\ drive that dropbox app is usually installed to, you can purchase a 1-2 TB external drive, format it NTFS and use it as dropbox cache which will enable the user to move larger number/size of files directly to dropbox cloud.  This was the solution I employed to resolve this problem/challenge....

scott

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

sesteynh New member | Level 2
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?