cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox folder is completely empty yet the app reports over limit

Dropbox folder is completely empty yet the app reports over limit.

Erika M.5
Helpful | Level 5

I'm trying to help a friend sort out his Dropbox problem. the app reports that the Dropbox folder is empty, yet there was less than 100 mb in it. We made a copy of all folders, put the copy on another disk and completely deleted everything in the Dropbox folder so that the folder is completely empty. We uninstalled and reinstalled the app. When we reinstalled the app, it still reports that the folder is over limit. We turned off the automatic upload of photos and auto sync of everything we could find in preferences. We uninstalled and reinstalled and confirmed that those updated settings were saved. The app still reports that it is syncing 4 folders (which folders? How can we find out what it is trying to sync?) and a file called .dbxignore. Should we open a brand new account? Will that help?

3 Replies 3

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Erika M.5, let's jump right into this! 

I'd like for you -or your friend- to access the Dropbox account online, and confirm if all their content is deleted there. 

What does your friend see when visiting their plan page online

Keep me posted, and we'll take it from there!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Erika M.5
Helpful | Level 5

Nothing shows up online in their Dropbox account. Yet the app continually reports that it is over the limit.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

You haven't mentioned what's reported in regards to their quota though, Erika Could you ask them what's shown in their plan page

Could it be that they've enabled the Dropbox Backup feature at some point perhaps?

You should be able to check this by having them navigate to the backups page

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?