cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can we have a visual tool for understanding the files and structures in Dropbox?

Can we have a visual tool for understanding the files and structures in Dropbox?

Andy C.19
Explorer | Level 3

I would like to propose that db develop a tool similar to Grand Perspective which allows me to graphically view my hard drive, the folders within it, and the files within that all represented by the size of the files. This would help me eliminate files I no longer need and which might be taking up a lot of storage space in dropbox. since moving my files online it is difficult to understand the size, quantity, duplicates of files in dropbox. A tool like this would be immensely helpful as dropbox increasingly becomes my computers de facto hard drive.

5 Replies 5

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Andy C.19 - thanks for taking the time  to share your thoughts on this with us.

Are you familiar with the feature that allows you to manage your hard drive space by any chance? 

You should be able to access it from the desktop app's preferences after clicking on your account's picture.  

Let me know if that would do the trick for what you had in mind when you get the chance to have a look please.

Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Andy C.19
Explorer | Level 3

hey walter,

thanks for writing. when you say manage your hard drive space are you referring to my dropbox space or that of my local harddrive?

thanks

Walter
Dropbox Staff

I was referring to the "Manage hard drive space" option when you click on your account's avatar after clicking on the Dropbox icon in your system tray/menu bar @Andy C.19 

This feature is for files you've stored in Dropbox, not on your computer's hard drive in general. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Andy C.19
Explorer | Level 3

gotcha, i'll check it out. Does it allow me to see folders and then files within? Are you familiar with Grand Perspective and how that operates?

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Yes, it does @Andy C.19 - you can also sort by files or folders when navigating the "Manage Hard Drive space" feature. 

As for the GrandPerspective, I haven't personally used it, but I just read how it works. The reason I brought up the 'Manage hard drive space' feature is because it identifies large or infrequently accessed Dropbox files stored on your local hard drive, and of course provides the option to change these files to "online-only" if needed. 

In regards to having the ability to identify large items in order to remove them from your Dropbox account, perhaps, currently, it might be more efficient to calculate the size of the files online.

Having said that, I'll be more than happy to log your comments internally and please let us know if you have anything else to add or ask. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    Andy C.19 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?