cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Deleting a locked file

Can I delete large files someone shared with me, so that they don't take up Dropbox/disk space?

Lindsay8
Explorer | Level 3

I have several large movie files that is taking up large amounts of space and also affecting the storage on my MacBook Pro - I cannot delete them on my Mac as they are locked and I am not admin and I am not in touch with anyone who created the folder. This folder was created in Dropbox so it is affecting both Dropbox and my Mac storage. Can someone please tell me how I delete or remove them to free up much needed space. 

3 Replies 3

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for posting on our forum today, @Lindsay8!

To clarify, are all these videos located within a shared folder that someone else shared with your Dropbox account? 

Also, do you want to just remove them from your computer, so that they don’t take up hard drive space, or delete them from your Dropbox account altogether? 

If the former, you can use selective sync, which will remove your folder(s) from your desktop app, but the files will still exist on your Dropbox account online. 

To delete the files from Dropbox instead and remove your access from a shared folder, you’ll need to follow these steps.

Let me know if that helps.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Lindsay8
Explorer | Level 3
What a swift reply huge thanks I will try these options 🙂

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

No problem at all! I’ll be here, if you need something else.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?