cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone know why the size of my files/folders in Dropbox is always smaller than they are on my Mac?

Anyone know why the size of my files/folders in Dropbox is always smaller than they are on my Mac?

Lightfeather
Explorer | Level 4

Anyone know why the size of my files/folders in dropbox is always smaller than they are on on my Mac? I've synced folders of images using dropbox backup, and I've uploaded folders of images directly to the website and it's always the same. All files, large and small, are always a bit smaller in the cloud than on my computer. Same when files on an external HD.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi @Lightfeather,

Such differences may come up when you observe the same file with/on systems using different prefixes (binary - classical/old school fashion - or Si) and this file is few kilobytes at least (i.e. prefix appears). In your case Dropbox uses binary prefixes in all cases while Mac (more accurately Finder - there may be other file browsers installed that use different conception) uses typically Si prefixes. Take a look here for more info. 😉

Hope it's a bit more clear now.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Hi @Lightfeather,

Such differences may come up when you observe the same file with/on systems using different prefixes (binary - classical/old school fashion - or Si) and this file is few kilobytes at least (i.e. prefix appears). In your case Dropbox uses binary prefixes in all cases while Mac (more accurately Finder - there may be other file browsers installed that use different conception) uses typically Si prefixes. Take a look here for more info. 😉

Hope it's a bit more clear now.

Lightfeather
Explorer | Level 4

Okay, that helps. Thanks so much!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lightfeather Explorer | Level 4
    Здравко Legendary | Level 20
What do Dropbox user levels mean?