cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in learning how media industry leaders use Dropbox Replay? Register for our webinar here.

Settings and Preferences

The Dropbox Community is here to help if you have questions about your account settings and preferences. Learn and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"How do you want to store new files" is set to "Online-only" but it isn't working.

"How do you want to store new files" is set to "Online-only" but it isn't working.

yifang
Explorer | Level 4

I am using Bandicam to record videos and saving them to my Dropbox drive. I have set the option "How do you want to store new files" to "Online-only", but the videos are not being automatically moved to online-only storage as expected. I would like to find a solution for this issue as I do not want to manually move them to online-only storage.

5 Replies 5

Rich
Super User II

@yifang wrote:

I have set the option "How do you want to store new files" to "Online-only", but the videos are not being automatically moved to online-only storage as expected.

That's not how that feature works. When set to Online-only, files that sync down to that device from your account online (i.e. added to Dropbox on another device or directly on the website) will sync to that computer as Online-only. It does not affect files that you add to the Dropbox folder on that device yourself. Those you'll need to manually set to Online-only.

yifang
Explorer | Level 4

I see. Is there any way to move files to online-only? I don't want to do it manually.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @yifang, I hope you're doing well!

I'm afraid that you'd need to manually make that change using these steps, in order for the content to switch states. 

I hope this clarifies!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

yifang
Explorer | Level 4

Does this mean I need to move the files to online-only from time to time manually?

Megan
Dropbox Staff

That is correct @yifang

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    yifang Explorer | Level 4
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?