cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in learning how media industry leaders use Dropbox Replay? Register for our webinar here.

Settings and Preferences

The Dropbox Community is here to help if you have questions about your account settings and preferences. Learn and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I disable Dropbox for individual users on a Windows PC?

How can I disable Dropbox for individual users on a Windows PC?

Ueli
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have a PC (Windows 11) with accounts for multiple users, i.e. a family PC. I am using dropbox, and it works well. However, other users are not using dropbox. These other users experience an annoying dropbox feature after every Windows login: A dropbox panel pops up and invites them to create a dropbox account.

I think these users should be able to say "No thanks, and never ask again". But I haven't found a way to stop the panel from popping up again and again. Not having a dropbox account, these users have no access to dropbox settings and preferences.

Is there a way to stop this invitation panel? Not a serious problem, but an annoying feature ..

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Ueli wrote:

When given, dropbox startup is indeed disabled - not only for this user, but for all users of the PC.

I didn't realize it disabled that for all users.

Disable it for all users, then create your own shortcut for Dropbox and place it in the Startup folder within your own user profile.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Ueli wrote:

Not having a dropbox account, these users have no access to dropbox settings and preferences.

Have each of them use the Startup Apps section in Windows to turn off Dropbox.

Ueli
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work for me. It's an "all or nothing" situation.

When one of the non-dropbox-users wants to turn off dropbox in the startup list, Windows asks for the admin password. When given, dropbox startup is indeed disabled - not only for this user, but for all users of the PC. However, I want to use dropbox just for myself, so I don't want it turned off.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Ueli wrote:

When given, dropbox startup is indeed disabled - not only for this user, but for all users of the PC.

I didn't realize it disabled that for all users.

Disable it for all users, then create your own shortcut for Dropbox and place it in the Startup folder within your own user profile.

JpFortran
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi there, 

I had to reset to factory my win10 pc. Once done, I've customized my profile (the one and only user by then) including installing and connecting to my dbox account.
After that I added another user to pc, and when loggin-in this new user, dbox start asking to log-in (or create a new account) every single time this new user logs in. As this 2nd user I went to startup apps and turned dbox off.. just to realize later dbox went off globally  (means the 1st user also stop running dbox at its log-in) .. seems dbox was globally installed during 1st user customization.
The point is, being logged as 2nd user, I cannot find sort of option 'stop asking for log-in to this user'  or such as .. there's no dbox icon on status bar to right-click on, coz -obviously- this user doesn't logs in. 
So, 'the' question: is there anyway to tell dbox stop asking for log-in to this 2nd user (in fact there's a 3rd user as well, in wich I'm affraid to log in) .. or should I uninstall the whole dbox and re-install it on the 1st user profile ~ hoping it will ask then for 'global or single-user' installation?
Thanks in advance 

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@JpFortran wrote:

... is there anyway to tell dbox stop asking for log-in to this 2nd user ...

No. See my response above.

JpFortran
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

thanks @Rich . Gonna give it a try. Later I'll comment how it was.

Peter L
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I know this might be a silly question, but how does one create ones "own" shortcut?

Do you: click Start, then scroll down list of all programs, left-click+drag Dropbox icon onto user's Desktop? Then what? Where is the Startup Folder in Windows 10?

I think I found the user's Startup folder:

c:\Users\MyUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\

Steps to solve this:

1. I disabled Dropbox (for all users) in Task Manager / Startup (right-click, disable).
  2. I clicked Start, then scrolled down the list of all programs, left-click+drag the Dropbox icon onto my Desktop.
  3. Copied t he Dropbox shortcut to c:\Users\MyUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\

After a quick test (I switched to another user), it seems to work! 😊

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Peter L New member | Level 2
    JpFortran Explorer | Level 4
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?