cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Settings and Preferences

The Dropbox Community is here to help if you have questions about your account settings and preferences. Learn and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tried to update email address on account, DropBox says my new email address is “already taken”??

Tried to update email address on account, DropBox says my new email address is “already taken”??

CaliGirl68
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
When I tried to update my email address and entered the new address into the field as directed, DropBox said it was “already taken.” I have a very unique name and email address, I’m 100% sure it’s not taken by anyone but me, and I’m not aware of having a duplicate account under a different email address. I cannot contact DropBox directly because I’m on the Basic plan. 😡 Help!!!
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@CaliGirl68 wrote:
When I tried to update my email address ... DropBox said it was “already taken.” ... I’m 100% sure it’s not taken by anyone but me ...

If Dropbox is stating that the address is already taken, then it's already in use on another account. You can reset the password and try to sign in to the account. You'll either need to change the address on that account, or delete the account. Only then will the email address be available for use on another account.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@CaliGirl68 wrote:
When I tried to update my email address ... DropBox said it was “already taken.” ... I’m 100% sure it’s not taken by anyone but me ...

If Dropbox is stating that the address is already taken, then it's already in use on another account. You can reset the password and try to sign in to the account. You'll either need to change the address on that account, or delete the account. Only then will the email address be available for use on another account.

CaliGirl68
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Hi Rich - I tried following your advice and logging into DropBox using the new email address. DropBox texted the 6-digit security code to my cell phone and I entered it in exactly but I then received another error message: “There was a problem completing this request.” It would not allow me to proceed any further. I tried this process several times.

CaliGirl68
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Update - I actually was able to get into the other account. I’m totally confused as to why I have two accounts though. I only want and need one.

Is it possible that I actually have one account with 2 different email addresses associated with it?

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@CaliGirl68 wrote:
Is it possible that I actually have one account with 2 different email addresses associated with it?

If you're have a paid account (Plus, Family, Professional or Business), then yes, you can add a secondary email address to an account. If you're on the Basic (free) plan, then no, it's not possible.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    CaliGirl68 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?