cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Settings and Preferences

The Dropbox Community is here to help if you have questions about your account settings and preferences. Learn and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I disable ALL taskbar notifications?

How do I disable ALL taskbar notifications?

Festered4rd5tfgvhb
Helpful | Level 6

Whenever one of these notifications occur, it creates a balloon notification icon next to the Dropbox taskbar icon which I find to be distracting.  In this case it is for a tip which I do not care to see.  I thought I have all notifications disabled as shown below, am I missing something else?

Festered4rd5tfgvhb_0-1706541655617.png

Festered4rd5tfgvhb_1-1706541795514.png

Festered4rd5tfgvhb_0-1706541965781.png

3 Replies 3

Rich
Super User II

@Festered4rd5tfgvhb wrote:

In this case it is for a tip which I do not care to see.  I thought I have all notifications disabled as shown below, am I missing something else?

Some notifications, such as the one in your screenshot, cannot be disabled.

Festered4rd5tfgvhb
Helpful | Level 6

While I understand the reasoning why the notifications balloons can't be disabled as they notify important events such as sign ins, these tips that are coming through as notifications are the core of my issue.  In nearly all mainstream software applications for Windows, there are usually options to disable tips.  Some users such as me find tips like this to be annoying and distracting, especially since in this case they change the icon of the taskbar and alert me of something that I don't actually find important at all.  While the icon can be moved to the taskbar's overflow menu, that makes it harder to check the status and access the drop box control center.

Its a shame that Dropbox tried so hard that they ended up just burdening the user with an annoying feature like this.  To those who say unnecessary notifications aren't a big deal, why is there an Android app called AutoNotification with over 100K downloads that lets users disable any notification including system ones on their device?  All of my devices are set up to not spam me with any kind of notification unless I find it important.  So these Drop Box notifications are like a small noise in a quiet room which is why I am unable to cope with using this service.

Festered4rd5tfgvhb_0-1706579541555.pngFestered4rd5tfgvhb_1-1706579573252.pngFestered4rd5tfgvhb_2-1706579752553.png

Festered4rd5tfgvhb_2-1706579752553.png

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Festered4rd5tfgvhb, thanks for posting here!

Your feedback regarding our Dropbox desktop application & notifications has been very valuable and I will endeavor to make sure your voice is heard.

I will pass on your comments to the relevant departments so that we can further improve our product.

If you need anything else, let me know!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    Festered4rd5tfgvhb Helpful | Level 6
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?