cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Settings and Preferences

The Dropbox Community is here to help if you have questions about your account settings and preferences. Learn and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: change home folder location - Mac

Changing home folder location - Mac

SteveMouzon
Explorer | Level 3

I just bought a new MacBook Pro and migrated from the previous one which was running Mojave via TimeMachine backup. For some reason, the Dropbox app got corrupted and I had to reinstall. It created a new home folder in my user folder and began to sync everything there, but I already have a folder located somewhere else. But when I tried to select that folder, DB came back with an error: “This folder already contains a DB directory.” Because it’s almost a terabyte, I definitely don’t want to move it somewhere else and have Time Machine backup this new location. How do I go about telling DB to use the existing directory?

3 Replies 3

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @SteveMouzon, sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

Did you try moving your Dropbox folder's location through the app's preferences as outlined here?

Let me know how you get on, Steve!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

SteveMouzon
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks, Walter! I tried that, but what I’m actually trying to do is point Dropbox to where my folder already is, but it said “there’s a Dropbox folder there already.” The reason I don’t want to move it is because Time Machine will probably try to back everything up again. So I’d much rather point Dropbox to where my folder is, and has been for years. I wonder what the cleanest way of doing that might be?

Walter
Dropbox Staff

It seems that you're not choosing the correct path there, Steve.

Can you send me a screenshot of the exact error you're getting so that I can have a look too? 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?