cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Settings and Preferences

The Dropbox Community is here to help if you have questions about your account settings and preferences. Learn and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Change my email address without having access to email account used to create the Dropbox acc...

Change my email address without having access to email account used to create the Dropbox account.

CCbug1
New member | Level 2

I had a free Dropbox account for many years, using my primary email address.  Several years ago, I set up a new account, with more storage, that I'm paying for so that I could share photos with my mom (now 98).  At the time, I set up a new email address and associated it with that 2nd account. I don't use that email address for anything else, but now that email address has hacked.  I can't log on to it anymore - they changed the phone numbers associated with it, so I can't get the log on code. So now there's a free account (that my laptop is logged onto) and a paid account (which my phone is currently logged on to).  The paid one is the one I use the most since it has thousands of pictures now.  I wanted to log onto the paid account on my laptop but I can't, because I can't get or change the password.  I also can't find a way to change the email address associated with that account.

10 Replies 10

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @CCbug1, I'd be happy to help as much as possible here! 

Do you happen to remember the password of the paid account? 

If so, then you can try logging into the website, online to see if you can change your email from there

Provided that it still asks for the 6-digit-security-code or that you don't remember your password, let me know and I'll be happy to open a ticket on my end for you. 

I'm suggesting the ticket route, since we might need some account-specific info, so it should be safer. 

Let me know more!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

CCbug1
New member | Level 2

Hello Megan, no the password that I thought was correct, is not.  So I can't log into the paid account.  (Can't change password because code is sent to email address that's been hacked.) Can you open a ticket to help with getting the email changed on the paid account?  Thank you!

Mark
Super User II

Its unlikely you'll be able to get the account back @CCbug1 😞

All Dropbox, usually, do in paid account situations like this is cancel billing. 

https://help.dropbox.com/account-access/lost-email-access

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @CCbug1, definitely! 

I just sent an email to your Community-linked email address, I'll see you there!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

CCbug1
New member | Level 2

What about my thousands of pictures?

Mark
Super User II

@CCbug1 wrote:

What about my thousands of pictures?

You may need to recover via a backup medium if you cannot get access via Dropbox.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Megan
Dropbox Staff

We will try our best to help you gain access to the account @CCbug1.

However, if we can't do that, then it'd be best for you to download them from your connected device that you already have access to. 

That way, we can cancel the plan, and you can transfer them onto a different one. 

I hope this clarifies!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

CCbug1
New member | Level 2

Is there a way for you to a) first verify me on a different email address, and b) change the email address on my paid account?

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @CCbug1, we wouldn't have jurisdiction to change the email address on a Dropbox account, or verify you on a different email address. 

However, I think it'd be best to continue via email, in order to let the specialized agents take a look into this, and see what they can find about it. 

Did you receive my email? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?