cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Settings and Preferences

The Dropbox Community is here to help if you have questions about your account settings and preferences. Learn and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Auto Backup on Windows 10

Auto Backup on Windows 10

CAB2k
Helpful | Level 5

Hopefully this is the correct forum for this question.
I am now a PLUS user.
My Drop box has a local folder on my C: drive & a copy on the Drop box on-line so I can access my files from phone or tablet at any time & grant access to client of mine.
My working files are on a sub folder on my C: drive & I just copied & pasted the folders to my Drop box using Windows 10 file explorer.
Now I want to make the C: drive working folder(s) to automatically backup/sync to Drop box for others with a share link to get the latest files.
Do I need to use Sync or Backup from the Web version of Drop box & how?

I tried using the Fire Fox web browser, selecting the folder I want to automate but the Automate has no options to backup or sync.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

DBoxTips
Experienced | Level 11

Hello @CAB2k,

In addition to the solution offered by Rich of moving that folder into your local Dropbox folder, you can also sync it without having to move it. That can be done using a third-party product called Boxifier (Windows only, no such thing for Mac that I know of). The nice thing about it is that you also get the sync status icons and the Dropbox right-click context menu in Windows Explorer (just like if it were in the Dropbox folder), and it syncs without having to move it.

Hope this helps,
Andrew (DBoxTips)

I am an individual contributor to the Dropbox Community forums, not affiliated with Dropbox. All opinions expressed here are my own.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Rich
Super User II

@CAB2k wrote:

Now I want to make the C: drive working folder(s) to automatically backup/sync to Drop box for others with a share link to get the latest files.

That's not how it works. Dropbox will only sync the files that are located within the Dropbox folder on your local drive. If you've copy/pasted files into the Dropbox folder from another location on the drive, then you're duplicating the files locally, using twice the disk space.

The idea behind Dropbox is that you MOVE your files into the Dropbox folder so they sync to the cloud, and the Dropbox folder becomes your working folder.

CAB2k
Helpful | Level 5

Thanks for the reply.

So in your scenario when the internet is unavailable you can not access those files?

I need access to my files even if the internet is down.

Mark
Super User II

@CAB2k wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

So in your scenario when the internet is unavailable you can not access those files?

I need access to my files even if the internet is down.

Dropbox is a folder on your device like any other, so, if you have the files stored locally (ie. offline access and not online only in the cloud) they'll still be available for you 🙂

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

DBoxTips
Experienced | Level 11

Hello @CAB2k,

In addition to the solution offered by Rich of moving that folder into your local Dropbox folder, you can also sync it without having to move it. That can be done using a third-party product called Boxifier (Windows only, no such thing for Mac that I know of). The nice thing about it is that you also get the sync status icons and the Dropbox right-click context menu in Windows Explorer (just like if it were in the Dropbox folder), and it syncs without having to move it.

Hope this helps,
Andrew (DBoxTips)

I am an individual contributor to the Dropbox Community forums, not affiliated with Dropbox. All opinions expressed here are my own.

CAB2k
Helpful | Level 5

So I can use the local Dropbox folders that auto backup or keep my current folders & use Boxifier to keep my local Dropbox folders up to date.

I'll look into Boxifier.

Thanks for the options & clarifications.

Need more support?