cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Received an email about locked state and that my account would be deleted, but I have a free account

Received an email about locked state and that my account would be deleted, but I have a free account

JC2444
Helpful | Level 5

Hi

I receive this email yesterday (see screenshot) stating my team is still in a locked state and if it was still in a locked state after August 15, 2024, the entire team will be deleted permanently.

We have been using the free basic version for years and never had this mentioned before.

I clicked the locked state link taking me to “What is locked state for teams?” help centre page.  It gives me two article options –

“If you click on this link and see a page that says, You’re about to cancel Dropbox for teams and disband the [Team name] team, the information in this article doesn’t apply to your team and you should read this article instead

If you see a page that says, Choose what to do with team files and accounts, then the information in this article applies to your team.”

When I click on this link, I get this error message -

JC2444_0-1721266575745.png

So I don’t know if –

1. You’re about to cancel Dropbox for teams and disband the [Team name] team; or
  2. Choose what to do with team files and accounts

I then click read this article instead, which opens another tab with the “What is locked state for teams?” help centre page.

The article says if my team is in a locked state, which the email says it is, that I wouldn’t be able to create or upload new files and folders, and that I wouldn’t be able to edit them.  However, I can upload and edit, so is my team in a locked state?

The article also says that if my team is in a locked state, I will know because I’ll see red notification banners at the top of the page on dropbox.com.  As you can see from the screenshot of our dropbox page, there are no red banners.  So, is my team in a locked state?

How have you determined our account is in a locked state? 

DBbanner.PNGDBemail.png

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @JC2444, thanks for joining our Community.

Is it possible that the address this email came to, is different than the one you use for your free Dropbox account?

Meaning that perhaps it's a different Dropbox account, under a different email address that you forgot you had.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

JohnnyDogman
Collaborator | Level 8

Hi JC2444,

You may clarify a few things:

1. Verify Locked State: If you can upload and edit files and don't see red banners, it's likely your team isn't in a locked state.
  2. Check Email Authenticity: Ensure the email is from Dropbox. Scammers can send fake alerts.
  3. Error Message: Try accessing the help articles from a different browser or device to avoid errors.
  4. Contact Support: To be sure, contact Dropbox Support directly. They can confirm your account status and provide specific guidance.

Hope this helps!

JC2444
Helpful | Level 5

Hi JD

Thanks for the offered info.  Regarding your suggestions - 

1. I don't want to take the risk that the account is deleted by assuming we aren't in a locked state.
  2. The email appears to be legit.
  3. The error message occurs in other browsers.
  4. What is support's email address, because all I can find is suggested solutions to issues I don't have.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @JC2444, thanks for joining our Community.

Is it possible that the address this email came to, is different than the one you use for your free Dropbox account?

Meaning that perhaps it's a different Dropbox account, under a different email address that you forgot you had.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

JC2444
Helpful | Level 5

Hi Hanna

Thank you.  I've inherited the system from previous staff and have little understanding of how it works.  It turns out the account targeted has not been used in five years and nobody knew about it.  I appreciate your assistance.

gostlblues55
Explorer | Level 3

Contact dropbox directly. Fat chance, they wont ever answer and delete peoples files after you have switched everything they store locally to just online only. You are ruining peoples lives and you cant even reach out with a call???? Dropbox needs to be canceled!

Eyad_dawalibi
New member | Level 2

My account was permanently deleted too even though I'm always using it and now I have files there which I want!! How can Dropbox do that!!

Eyad_dawalibi
New member | Level 2

Hi Eyad,

We’re letting you know that the Elements Experience team was permanently deleted because it remained in locked state past . This includes all admin and member accounts, as well as all files.

Folders shared with people outside your team will be deleted shortly, as we’re giving external collaborators a heads up that the folders will be deleted. Read more about what happens to your externally shared folders in our help center article.

If you have any questions or need help, reach out to us at any time.

Any now I can't do anything about it and I can't even contact support because I don't have access!!

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Eyad_dawalibi, thanks for providing these details. I’d recommend getting in contact with our support team directly to look into this matter in more detail by opening an incognito/private browsing window, while not signed into your account, and accessing this link.

From there you should be able to contact support. Make sure to enter the same email you use to login to Dropbox. 

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    Eyad_dawalibi New member | Level 2
    gostlblues55 Explorer | Level 3
    JC2444 Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?