cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Locked out of Dropbox - Dropbox has no options - how regain access to account?

Locked out of Dropbox - Dropbox has no options - how regain access to account?

MaGroDrop
New member | Level 2

Hello, we have a member of our company that had a Dropbox free account. This account was registered over our company mailbox and domain. Then the account was compromised and the person who got access to the account, upgraded the account to essential and activated MFA (which was not set beforehand). - So now I cannot login to the account, because the compromiser killed all sessions until we noticed and I can only change the password, but have no 8-digit key because the MFA was not set by us. Dropbox itself cannot do anything. So the account sends malicious content and mails, without us giving the opportunity to kill active sessions by changing the password -> the password is changed, but due to the missing MFA we cannot login to our account. - What should we do? - it is a complete Bricked situation right now for us. has anyone had this and has a solution for me? would be very thankful!

4 Replies 4

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @MaGroDrop, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

I’d recommend getting in contact with our support team directly to look into this matter in more detail.

You can do this by opening an incognito/private browsing window, while not signed into your account, and accessing this link. From there you should be able to contact support. Make sure to pick an email to which you can receive and send emails from.

Once you get a ticket ID from the automated response, please let me know the number here so I can locate it in our system

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

MaGroDrop
New member | Level 2

Hello, did that and the number is Ticket #23572634

thanks in advance

Mark
Super User II

This is the downside to free Dropbox accounts (and actually free services everywhere!) - you have no control over them at all. The company doesnt 'own' that account the person accessing it does - as they pay. Regardless of the email etc. on it. 

The easiest solution I can think of, as long as its still part of the work email system, is to upgrade to Business Plan and force all accounts which have your email on Dropbox to be merged in to your account. That way you then manage and own it and can disable / enable 2FA via the Admin console. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the info, I've gone ahead and prioritized the ticket to expedite matters on your behalf.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    Mark Super User II
    MaGroDrop New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?