cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Let go from company, but data was lost when I my account was removed/revoked access?

Let go from company, but data was lost when I my account was removed/revoked access?

MrGuitarro
New member | Level 2

Howdy folks,

I hope this finds everyone well. I was working for a company for years, where I originally owned and paid for the Dropbox used for the company. A couple months ago, all that data was supposed to be moved over to the company account and I thought my personal account was closed out thereafter (I used my work email for both accounts). Now, I was just informed yesterday by my HR that when my access was revoked-apparently a lot of the data/items I worked on were apparently deleted as well (which should NOT have EVER happened, NOR did I ever touch or do anything to make that happen). I always felt iffy with the migration but that is what it is.

There might have been some confusion between myself and my HR, but I think the thought was maybe I could log into my email and access the folders/data I had before the migration-which is my work email (the same one I used after the migration, which you can only use one email with the way Dropbox works), but I just tried to log into that account and couldnt do so (and I need to verify if thats because thelogin was basically deleted or not, or maybe I just cant remember the right password?). 

Please note I personally paid for one of upper tier plans for years, and my company switched to one of the HIGH TB plans months ago-so Im not just some rando asking for support on a free plan.

Support please contact me directly to give me help as I can't find out anything through my normal/personal email whatsoever.

Im having a hard time believing all that data was genuinely deleted and that Dropbox isn't possibly responsible for restoring it or having made a mistake or cant restore it.

3 Replies 3

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hi there, @MrGuitarro, and thanks for your post.

From what I understand, you previously had a paid individual Dropbox account, with which you joined a Dropbox Business team account and then were removed from the team and now you cannot access your account and files.

How long has it been since you got removed from the team?

Also, do you get some kind of error message, when you try to sign in to the account? For example, that the account doesn't exist?

Let me know and we'll go from there.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

MrGuitarro
New member | Level 2

Believe I was removed from the team 6.28.

Only error message I got was invalid email/password.

Mark
Super User II

@MrGuitarro wrote:

Believe I was removed from the team 6.28.

Only error message I got was invalid email/password.

You need to contact the company you worked for and ask if they kept a backup. If they didnt its unlikely they'll be able to recover the data as its only kept for 7 days, 

The invalid email error is correct because that account no longer exists - the Business deleted it. 

They should have removed you from the team instead of deleted you.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
    MrGuitarro New member | Level 2
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?