cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need to access my old work Dropbox account, but I'm asked for a one-time code that I can't access.

I need to access my old work Dropbox account, but I'm asked for a one-time code that I can't access.

infinitempg
New member | Level 2

I had a DropBox account with my work but I changed jobs.  Was looking for some files and realized that I had some of my personal files stored in my old work DropBox account.  When I try to log in, it is doing two-step verification and since I no longer have access to my old work email, I cannot gain access to the verification.  I logged in with my home email to try to gain access to support but I get the message that I cannot email support with my account.  Not sure how to get access to my old files and not sure how to get in touch with support since the login I am now using doesn't offer support email. 

Any help?

4 Replies 4

Mark
Super User II

Hi @infinitempg without access to the email its almost certainly impossible to do. See https://help.dropbox.com/account-access/lost-email-access for info. Can you get work to recreate it?

The other thing that MAY have an impact here is how long is it since you last logged in? If its over 12 months the files on the account will have been removed I'm afraid and are not recoverable 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

infinitempg
New member | Level 2

My old work would not grant me access, they were taken over by a company that is hard line and there's no way they'd grant me access.  It's been a little over 12 months but when I try to log in, it accepts my username and PW but tried to do the email verification and doesn't offer any other methods other than email.  If it did phone or something like that, would work fine.  Would hate to see what would happen if, for example, when my verizon.com emails all were canceled because Verizon stopped offering that service.  Then how would someone get in???  You would think they'd have some plan for circumstances like that.

Mark
Super User II

@infinitempg wrote:

It's been a little over 12 months but when I try to log in, it accepts my username and PW but tried to do the email verification and doesn't offer any other methods other than email.  

If would have offered other options if you'd set them up when you had the account. There are ways of adding multiple emails to an account, but, a person actively has to do that. 

Also, if its over 12 months and you try and log on it STILL lets you even if the account is empty - you would just get in and it would have no files in. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hope it’s OK to jump in, @infinitempg. You can always contact our support team with these steps as a last resort. I can’t guarantee anything, but it may be worth the shot.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Nancy Dropbox Staff
    Mark Super User II
    infinitempg New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?