cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We been busy working on some major updates to the Community, so check out what's changing, what’s staying the same and what you can expect from the Dropbox Community right here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't login with 2FA because my authenticator app lost the link to my Dropbox account

I can't login with 2FA because my authenticator app lost the link to my Dropbox account

RobBastos_2024
New member | Level 2

Hello Community,

Good morning! I hope this message finds you well. I'm reaching out for some assistance. I recently switched to a new phone and, unfortunately, lost the data and connection for my Authenticator app linked to my Dropbox account. As a result, I'm unable to log in. I've tried various solutions, but each alternative eventually requires the code from my Authenticator app, which I no longer have access to. If anyone here has any advice or knows how to resolve this issue, I would greatly appreciate your help. Thank you in advance for your support!

Best!

Robson Bastos

3 Replies 3

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @RobBastos_2024, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Without the authenticator app on your device, you can use one of these methods in order to regain access to your Dropbox account.

Keep me posted.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Rich
Super User II

@RobBastos_2024 wrote:

I recently switched to a new phone and, unfortunately, lost the data and connection for my Authenticator app linked to my Dropbox account. As a result, I'm unable to log in.

You will need to use the emergency backup codes that you were given when you activated 2FA on the account. Without the backup codes or another device that's already linked to the account, it's not possible to gain access to the account.

Mark
Super User II

You must therefore use the recovery codes given when you set up the account OR use the old device to get access to the codes again. Without the account is lost I'm afraid. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
    Rich Super User II
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?