cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in hearing how one of our Community members uses Dropbox for sailing trips? Read all about it here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't change the email address of my Dropbox account, as it's been hacked.

I can't change the email address of my Dropbox account, as it's been hacked.

MegBelgium
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

The e-mail I used fod my Dropbox account was hacked and I no longer have access to it. I have tried to change the address in settings, but the system will not accept the new address. Every time I log on, Dropbox informs me that it can't access my e-mail address and I may lose my Dropbox account. I won't receive an e-mail telling me that there is an answer to this, for the above reason, so I hope I find it when there is one.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@MegBelgium wrote:

I have tried to change the address in settings, but the system will not accept the new address.

What error message does it give when you enter the new address?

@MegBelgium wrote:

... I no longer have access to it. ... Dropbox informs me that it can't access my e-mail address and I may lose my Dropbox account.

If you no longer have access to the email address but you can still access the account, your best option is to download all of your files and then create a new account. If you're unable to change the email address on the account, then without access to the current email address you will likely lose access to the Dropbox account. Assuming you can still access it now, download your files before it's too late.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@MegBelgium wrote:

I have tried to change the address in settings, but the system will not accept the new address.

What error message does it give when you enter the new address?

@MegBelgium wrote:

... I no longer have access to it. ... Dropbox informs me that it can't access my e-mail address and I may lose my Dropbox account.

If you no longer have access to the email address but you can still access the account, your best option is to download all of your files and then create a new account. If you're unable to change the email address on the account, then without access to the current email address you will likely lose access to the Dropbox account. Assuming you can still access it now, download your files before it's too late.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?