cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to edit my email address on an unverified email that I can no longer access

How to edit my email address on an unverified email that I can no longer access

SueD13
New member | Level 2

Hello,

I need to access my dropbox account but it is linked to an email that I no longer have access to. I have not added 2-factor verification but would like to change my email address to one I currently use. Please advise.

3 Replies 3

Rich
Super User II

@SueD13 wrote:

How to edit my email address on an unverified email that I can no longer access.

You would need to verify the old email address before you can change the email address on your account.

I need to access my dropbox account but it is linked to an email that I no longer have access to.

You can try contacting Support, but without access to the email account you may not be able to gain access to the Dropbox account. You need to maintain an active email address on your account so you can receive password resets and one-time security codes used during sign in.

To contact Support, visit the Support page while you're NOT signed in to a Dropbox account, including these forums, and you'll see an option for sign in issues. It's best to use an Incognito or Private browsing session to make sure you're not signed in.

SueD13
New member | Level 2

I am currently signed into my account. I understand the importance of maintaining an active email - hence why I am contacting you today. Is there a way for me to change my email while still being logged in. I am concerned that if I log out of the account, I will no longer be able to access these files.

Rich
Super User II

@SueD13 wrote:

I am concerned that if I log out of the account, I will no longer be able to access these files.

That's a very valid concern. Dropbox will periodically request a one-time security code which gets emailed to the address associated with your account. If you're unable to access that code, you would be locked out of the account.

Is there a way for me to change my email while still being logged in.

There's no way for you to change it if the existing email is not yet verified. You would need to verify that address first. As I mentioned, you can try contacting Support to see if they'll assist. Since you're currently signed in to the account, there may be a better chance that they'll be able to help.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    SueD13 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?