cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox management for employees leaving the company

Dropbox management for employees leaving the company

jay-dragon
Explorer | Level 3

Hi All,

Good day. I would like to ask for an advise with regards to securing files and folders in Dropbox. Can you share your best practices when someone leaves the company. How can we secure data that he/she has access to. Can we set a permission not to download the file from his/her device? Is this something possible in Dropbox? Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

4 Replies 4

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @jay-dragon, thanks for contacting us.

In general, if you're the team admin of a Dropbox Business team, when you delete the user, they can't access the account online and you can also remotely wipe their device of the Dropbox folder.

You can also transfer the user's documents to another member on the team during the deletion, or for a short period afteards.

If you need any more details, feel free to message back!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

jay-dragon
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Jay,

Thank you for your reply. I thought that would be the requirement from the team but they wanted something else. Any chance that you would know if this is possible in Dropbox?

1. Every members of the team (ex. Team A) will have its own folder assigned to each member. 

2. On that folder only Admin and folder owner (Team A member assigned to the folder) is allowed to have full access other team members will have view access only.

Folder Owner, Admin > Can download, share, copy and paste, edit etc.

Other team members (non folder owner) > Can view only not download file or share

3. Only folder owners and Admin can copy and paste a file as attachment for emails and communication like chat.

Rights:

Folder owner > Full Access to their own folder only. They will be view mode on the other folders that they don't own or not assigned to.

Admin of the group > Full Access to all Team A's folder

Other team member that is not an owner of a folder > view only no copy and paste no download.

Would this be something possible to accomplish in Dropbox?

Thank you all for your answers in advance.

Mark
Super User II

Simply put @jay-dragon no, it isnt something you can do. Its also worth remembering that if it is viewable on screen there is nothing to stop screenshots, printing, file -> save as or even just taking a photo with a mobile device

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

jay-dragon
Explorer | Level 3

Hi @Mark ,

Thank you for your answers I agree. I was just looking for a solution to secure it the most possible way so even if users took a photo etc. Company side we did our best to secure data.

Need more support?