cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't log in and my old email address (bought privately) is gone

Can't log in and my old email address (bought privately) is gone

leppmix
New member | Level 2

Hi all.

Many years ago i bought a .com website and email. i used this for drop box.

I stopping paying for this many years ago so i no longer own it.

I went to long in today using my old email and password. It accepted these details (log in and password) but as so much time has passed, it wanted to reset my password.

However, i dont own that.com email anymore.

Any ideas how i can get in?

Thanks

5 Replies 5

Mark
Super User II

Simply put unless the account was verified it isnt possible. 

If you have managed to log in you are very very lucky. You need to URGENTLY download all data and save it somewhere safe and set up a new account with the correct credentials. There is a HUGE RISK here that if you get logged out it wont let you back in as it will email your old, now defunct, email for a secure coce. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

leppmix
New member | Level 2

HI. But i havent got in.  It accepted my old email and PW, but then said i need to update my PW and sent it to my now unavailable private .com address

Mark
Super User II

Unfortunately then its almost certain the account is lost - https://help.dropbox.com/account-access/lost-email-access

If you can reset up the domain that would get you in. 

How long is it since you last logged in? If its over 12 months all data would have been removed for inactivity. 

The only other thing to do is contact support via www.dropbox.com/support while not logged in including the forums. Using an incognito window may help

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

leppmix
New member | Level 2

shame. The password is correct, they just want a new one.

Rich
Super User II

@leppmix wrote:

The password is correct, they just want a new one.

But they don't recognize the sign in attempt. You're signing in from a different device, location, IP address, etc., something that Dropbox doesn't recognize, combined with the amount of time that has passed. So, as a precaution and to protect the account, they've expired your password.

Mark is correct. If it's been that long since you last accessed the account, the files within it would already be gone. If an account remains idle for more than a year the account and all data within it are deleted. If you try to sign back in with the same credentials, assuming you're able to reset the password, you actually start a new, empty account.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    leppmix New member | Level 2
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?