cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Restrict new team member's access to a single folder

Can I restrict new team member's access to a single folder?

Terry White
Helpful | Level 5

Can anyone show me how to restrict new member's access to a single folder?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Terry White
Helpful | Level 5

Thanks everyone!  I was able to take care of this.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Vicker
Super User

Hi, @Terry White ,

I think the first thing you have to check is whether the folder that you mentioned is a Team folder. If that's the case, I would suggest to create another new private folder and move the content over so that you could have more fine-grained control on who could access it.

Cheers
Vicker

Terry White
Helpful | Level 5

This folder is a Team folder.  I've hired a contract architectural consultant for my architectural firm to help us on a project and the only way we've been able to get successful access for her was to make them a Team Member with full access to our entire company folder despite everything else we've tried... including sending her an ivite to that specific folder.  Once we start a project, linkages between files are sometimes hindered if parent file name and locations are modified.

From your response, I'm guessing that Dropbox doesn't have a way to restrict this new Team Member to an existing project folder after they're added to our team.

Vicker
Super User

Hi, @Terry White ,

From my knowledge, there are 2 types of folder, Team folder and Shared folder. Team folder is expected to be shared among the whole team, therefore there are no fine-grain control of the access. Therefore, the only option left is to move things over to a newly created Shared folder.

This official documentation got more explanation on that.

https://help.dropbox.com/share/shared-folder-faq#:~:text=within%20another%20folder.-,What's%20the%20....

Cheers

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey there, @Terry White, thanks for posting here! 

Have you considered using Groups for your content by any chance?

Groups are an easy way to add and remove lists of people to your shared folders and make managing sharing easier. You can choose which members you want to be part of each group, and assign it to your Team folders. 

If you have any questions, let me know! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

AnastasiaDBX
Dropbox Product Manager

Hi @Terry White !

You can absolutely do that.

You first need to change the access for that Team Folder, to remove the "Everyone at [your company]" group. To do so, navigate to the admin console, and click on "Content" in the left nav (https://www.dropbox.com/team/admin/content/home). Then click the "..." on the right side of the folder you're trying to restrict, click "Share with Dropbox", then click the "Can edit" button to the right of "Everyone at [your company]" and select remove. You'll need to add back the people who do need access though. 

Let me know if you have any additional questions!

Terry White
Helpful | Level 5

Thanks everyone!  I was able to take care of this.

Need more support?