cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Plans and Subscriptions

Ask the Dropbox Community for help if you have questions about your Dropbox plan or subscription. Find solutions and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switch Dropbox Plans Between 2 Active Dropbox Accounts (Dropbox Basic & Dropbox Plus)

Switch Dropbox Plans Between 2 Active Dropbox Accounts (Dropbox Basic & Dropbox Plus)

billyjdoesoz
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi Dropbox Community,

I hope you are all doing well.

I am trying to switch Dropbox Plans between 2 active Dropbox Accounts (1 - Dropbox Basic & 2 - Dropbox Plus).

I contacted Dropbox in April 2023 and explained what I wanted to do and was provided with the following instructions:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Troy, Apr 11, 2023, 4:48 PM PDT:
Hello Billy,
Thank you for chatting with Dropbox Support today! This email includes a ticket number for your reference.
It was a pleasure chatting with you today with regards to switching email addresses between your accounts.
As per our conversation, to switch the email addresses linked to your account, you will need to use a third email as a placeholder.
In this example, we’ll call the email address linked to your first account "Email A". The email linked to your second account will be called "Email B". The third placeholder email address you'll need to use to swap Email A and Email B will be called “Email C”.
Please follow these instructions to switch the email addresses linked to your account:

On your first account, please change Email A to Email C. This will release Email A. You can change your email on the Dropbox website at: https://www.dropbox.com
Click your name in the top right corner, and choose Settings from the menu. To change your email the Account settings tab, or go to the following page:
https://www.dropbox.com/account

Log out of your first account, and log in to your second account. Once you have logged into your second account, please change your email address to Email A. This will release Email B.
Log out of your second account and log back in to your first account. You can then change the email on your first account from the placeholder Email C to Email B.

You only need to make these changes once. Any changes you make automatically apply to any computers or mobile devices linked to your account.
Also, as discussed, the names of the local Dropbox folder directories do not change according to the email used for the account. You will have to sign out of the account connected to the Dropbox application on your device and then sign in with the other one so that the correct files sync to the correct device.
In case you wish to change the location of your Dropbox folder on your device, you will have to do it from the Dropbox application preferences

https://help.dropbox.com/installs/move-dropbox-folder

If you need something else, please let me know, and I will be more than happy to help every step of the way.
Best regards,
Troy
PS: Check out our library of quick videos that’ll teach you how to get the most out of your account:
https://help.dropbox.com/learn/video-tutorials

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Needless to say, this DID NOT work. After performing the aforementioned steps, neither of the plans on the two Dropbox accounts have changed (switched).

Note: A considerable amount of work has been done in preparation of this switch and time is of the essence.

If anyone has any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Billy

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@billyjdoesoz wrote:

I am trying to switch Dropbox Plans between 2 active Dropbox Accounts (1 - Dropbox Basic & 2 - Dropbox Plus).

You can't switch the plans between the two accounts. The only thing you can do is swap the email addresses between the two accounts, using a third email address, which is the process they explained to you.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@billyjdoesoz wrote:

You can't switch the plans between the two accounts. The only thing you can do is swap the email addresses between the two accounts, using a third email address, which is the process they explained to you.

billyjdoesoz
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Thank you for your reply, Rich. That’s very unfortunate as that’s not what I was told by Dropbox. A lot of planning and work all for nothing it seems. Back to the drawing board, I guess.
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

billyjdoesoz Explorer | Level 4
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?