cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Plans and Subscriptions

Ask the Dropbox Community for help if you have questions about your Dropbox plan or subscription. Find solutions and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SCAM SCAM SCAM

I am being charged for a Dropbox account that I do not have

blruhe
Explorer | Level 3

Is there anyway to get in touch with an actual human at Dropbox? I am being charged monthly for Dropbox account that I do not have, and I cannot for the life of me get an actual person to help with this on the Dropbox side. Is the only option to go to my bank and dispute the charges?

Thanks!
Bethany 

12 Replies 12

Rich
Super User II

@blruhe wrote:

Is there anyway to get in touch with an actual human at Dropbox? I am being charged monthly for Dropbox account that I do not have ...

Phone support is only available on Business accounts. All others can submit a ticket.

Visit the Support page while you're NOT signed in to a Dropbox account, including these forums, and you'll see an option for Billing issues. It's best to use an Incognito or Private browsing session to make sure you're not signed in.

Dropbox cannot charge you if they don't have your billing information. If you've been charged and didn't give them your billing information, then someone else has and you should be contacting your bank.

NaomiSB
New member | Level 2

I am having the same issue. Did you get this solved? 

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hey @NaomiSB. Can you please check your bank statement and let me know if you’re receiving direct Dropbox charges, or bills from iTunes/Google Play?

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Julie39
New member | Level 2

This is a total SCAM! I am being charged $37 a month and I am unable to actually SPEAK with someone because it says: "Your Basic plan includes access to our Help Center, Community and Chatbot." Complete fraud and I am sure there will be some type of class action lawsuit because they are ripping people off left and right. At no point did I (or from what I am reading other people as well) sign up for any type of recurring payments. I can't believe people actually in good faith work for this company knowing that they are stealing money from unknowing victims. 

Mark
Super User II

If you did not give Dropbox your card details then YOU need to speak to your card company and report fraud - somebody has taken your details and possibly ID and is using them. 

If, however, you did you need to log on to the correct account as if it says Basic this one is not it. Use https://help.dropbox.com/billing/find-credit-card-charge to help

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Julie39
New member | Level 2

Thanks for the 'help', Mark. At some point in time I'm sure there was something I needed to access via Dropbox, ergo, my card information being used. I did not however sign any contract for recurring charges. And I am unable to actually speak with someone or delete my card details from my account because there is no way to actually FIND that information on my account. 

Let's think this through, Mark: Do you really think that if someone were to steal my credit card, they first thing they would do is sign up for a Dropbox acctount? I think not. 

Mark
Super User II

Dropbox is very, very clear on setting up the account that you are setting up a subscription service - which is a monthly charge. It states that multiple times across the page/site and very clearly at https://www.dropbox.com/plans.

@Julie39 wrote:

And I am unable to actually speak with someone or delete my card details from my account because there is no way to actually FIND that information on my account. 

Did you use the link I gave? The one that FINDS the account for you using your card statement?

@Julie39 wrote:

Let's think this through, Mark: Do you really think that if someone were to steal my credit card, they first thing they would do is sign up for a Dropbox acctount? I think not. 

Actually quite often yes they will - they will do transactions that they know will go through and are low value. Or, it also helps people realise its user error (unfortunately) and not realising things like its a subscription. 

If that doesnt work go to www.dropbox.com/support while not logged in - even here. Try using an incognito window instead and log a ticket that way. If you ARE logged in, at all, you wont see the options to log one 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Rich
Super User II

@Julie39 wrote:

Let's think this through, Mark ...

Mark is correct. If you didn't provide your billing information to Dropbox, then someone else has. You need to use the link that Mark provided to look up the account that you're being charged for. If it's not an account you recognize, you need to contact your bank first, then Dropbox Support. If you recognize the account, you can either sign into that account to cancel it, or contact Dropbox Support if you're not able to sign in.

To contact Support, visit the Support page while you're NOT signed in to a Dropbox account, including these forums, and you'll see an option for Billing issues. It's best to use an Incognito or Private browsing session to make sure you're not signed in.

jxt10
New member | Level 2

Hi Nancy, I made a dropbox Sign account early last year in 2023/07/06, because I want to transfer some documents to others. I think there was a free version, or a free trial that I may have signed up for.

But I just know I subscribed the account in 2024/07/06 because there was a 120 dollar charge at that day. I cancelled the new subscription as soon as I know this, and it says I can get a refund, but nothing happens. Now my account is "basic", but I don't get any money back!!!

When reviewing my credit expenses for the past year I also found a 120 dollar charge in 2023/07/06, I was wondering if it was possible to get it refunded because I even don't know the subscription at all!! 

Pretty disappointed by the support page and I have no idea who to contact to pursue this.

My appeal is get the two years money back, PLEASE HELP ME.

Need more support?