cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in learning how media industry leaders use Dropbox Replay? Register for our webinar here.

Plans and Subscriptions

Ask the Dropbox Community for help if you have questions about your Dropbox plan or subscription. Find solutions and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Erroneous "Your credit card expires soon! Don’t forget to update your info" email

Erroneous "Your credit card expires soon! Don’t forget to update your info" email

mfalkvidd
Helpful | Level 5

Today, I received an email from Dropbox with the subject "Your credit card expires soon! Don’t forget to update your info" with the following text:

Your credit card is about to expire! Update your billing information to make sure your Dropbox Plus features aren’t interrupted. Click the link below or log in to your account on dropbox.com, go to Settings, select Billing, and update your payment method.
Update your billing info now
If you don’t update your billing info by 2022-10-18, your account will be downgraded to a Basic plan with much less storage space.
Thanks,
- The Dropbox Team

mfalkvidd_0-1642931246678.png

When I go to update my credit card, I can see that the expiry is in 2027 (see screen shot below).

mfalkvidd_1-1642931362956.png

I tried contacting Dropbox Support through https://www.dropbox.com/support/email , but it is impossible to contact them with a billing issue without adding information about a billing transaction, and it is impossible to attach images.

15 Replies 15

MGOneA
New member | Level 2

I have got the same mail. A week ago, it was right, but to be safe, I went the other way around and updated my billing info.

But now I have got the mail again - and I am wondering, if it is some kind of phishing. 

MG

Mark
Super User II

Are you sure its a genuine Dropbox email? It could be a phishing one

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

MFNL
Explorer | Level 4

I have got the same issue, I updated the details in my account (which indeed needed updating) but a few days later I got a reminder saying that they will downgrade the a account if I do not update my billing details. I thought these updates would go automatically. Can anyone from DropBox comment?

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @MFNL, I'd be happy to help! 

Was that an email reminder, or a notification in your account? 

Provided it's an email, would it be possible for you to check the inbox you received, and then let me know the email address it came from? We need to check it was an official Dropbox domain.

Let me know of any updates! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

MFNL
Explorer | Level 4

Dear Megan, thank you for reaching out.

I received two e-mails. After the first one I updated my details i the account, then I received an e-mail reminder.

the email was sent from Dropbox <no-reply@dropbox.com>.

Looking forward to hear form you,

Best wishes,

Maria

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @MFNL, thanks for getting back to me! 

It might sound trivial, however have you made sure that the email address that your Dropbox account is subscribed to, is the same as the one you received the message to? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Norfolk VHF
Helpful | Level 6

I smell phish.  The culprit got a bona fide notice and decided to use its html to go phishing.

Just in case I am right, I recommend that all users go to change their passwords (from within DB itself of course, not from any email).  If they are not able to do, they should contact Support.

MFNL
Explorer | Level 4

yes, the e-mail account is the same

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @MFNL, happy Friday! 

When did you receive the second email? 

I'm asking, because if you received it shortly after updating your billing info, then it might have been an automated email, that slipped through the system before registering that you've made all the necessary changes. 

Have you recently gotten any new emails after the change? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    marthabun Explorer | Level 3
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?