cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you using the Microsoft co-authoring beta for Dropbox? Share your feedback and learn more about it here.

Plans and Subscriptions

Ask the Dropbox Community for help if you have questions about your Dropbox plan or subscription. Find solutions and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't access the codes for two step verification and backup codes not working

Can't access the codes for two step verification and backup codes not working

isydia
Explorer | Level 3

Here is a strange occurrence. My colleague, has a professional account with 2-step verification enabled. She ported her mobile to Google Canada and now, she can not receive text messages and DropBox does not offer the option to call with the 6-digit code to login. She tried her backup codes and they did not work. Also, there was an option to send a notification to her Pixel4 but that never came.

Basically she cannot login to her Professional account. All her credentials are the same (i.e. password, phone number, email) She just can't receive text messages. We couldn't find any other viable contact methods for her to get support so I'm inquiring here on her behalf in this post. Please help!

15 Replies 15

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @isydia, thanks for reaching out.

Sorry to see your colleague has trouble accessing their account.

Does she have a computer linked to her account? If so, she can click on the Dropbox icon in her system tray/menu bar and then click the globe icon.

This should open the web version of her account, so she can disable two step verification, in order to login. Then she can re-enable it, if need be.

Let me know how it goes.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

isydia
Explorer | Level 3

That doesn't work since she logs in to DropBox with Chrome web browser using her email-username and password. She doesn't use the mobile app or desktop software. It's very frustrating since she has access to all her credentials (username/password/email/phone number) listed under her account, she just can't receive text messages anymore and there is no call option or any other venue to use to access her paid account to retrieve her data. 

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @isydia, could you clarify if she has changed her phone number, since you mentioned she 'ported her mobile to Google Canada'? 

Has she tried any of these steps to see if they help?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

isydia
Explorer | Level 3
No she hasn't changed any of her credentials. Dropbox staff can simply call her on the phone number registered with her paid account and verify her identity her credit card she's using on her account all her account credentials is the same. She just can't get text messages because Google voice in Canada does not offer text.
She uses her browser to log in with her email and password. Then gets a text message with 6 digit code she enters it and logs in. She does not use DropBox desktop or mobile app. Now she can't get text messages and dropbox told her basically tough luck and there is nothing they can do which is sad to say the least.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the update, I’d recommend they get in contact with our support team directly to look into this matter in more detail.

They can do this by opening an incognito/private browsing window, while not signed into any account, and accessing this link

From there they should be able to contact support. Make sure they enter the same email they use to login to Dropbox. 

Jay
dropbox.com/support

isydia
Explorer | Level 3

She did go to that link and open a ticket#16563397 and she corresponded with Leah. Long story short, support said that there is nothing they can do if she can't receive text messages. They offered to cancel her subscription so she won't get billed for next month, which makes me wonder if they agree to cancel her account (means they admit she's the owner of the account) then why not remove the 2-step verification so she can login with her username and password to gain access? or call her on the phone number registered with her dropbox account? She needs to download her data which is her legal property and she needs her files for her business. This is just unbelievable and an eye opener for me and others I know on dropbox. Every other platform has a call option instead of text to receive the authentication codes for 2-step-verification like facebook, instagram, google, banks government...etc. at Dropbox you're on your own. 

Wilbur1
Explorer | Level 3

I know my email and password but can't access that email. Dropbox is sending an email for verification but I can't see the verification. How do I log in?

Mark
Super User II

Without access to the email account it isnt possible I'm afraid

https://help.dropbox.com/account-access/lost-email-access

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Wilbur1
Explorer | Level 3
Their help page seems to indicate otherwise. They don’t mention the fact that a verification email is needed:

Sign in to Dropbox when you know your password
If you lost access to the email address associated with your Dropbox account but still remember your password, try to sign in to your Dropbox account and then immediately change your email address.
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
    seba5957 New member | Level 2
    Pullingoutmyhair New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?