cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can't save files from Office365-app to Dropbox - supposedly write protected

can't save files from Office365-app to Dropbox - supposedly write protected

DieBaum
Helpful | Level 5

Hello there!

Starting yesterday all of a sudden I can't save files to my Dropbox via the Office 365-app anymore. I get a message telling me that the file is write protected, which it isn't. It tells me to save a copy, when trying to do that I get the same error message.
Up until the day before yesterday everything worked like a charm. I haven't knowingly changed anything about my smartphone's configuration, no new apps etc.
Had anyone ever experienced this issue?
Any ideas on how to solve it?
Thank you!

Andy

139 Replies 139

Trush861
Explorer | Level 4
I am using the Dropbox mobile app

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Did you originally create the file on your computer, or on the site or mobile app?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Trush861
Explorer | Level 4
I have tried both files created on my computer and files on the mobile app with the same result.

J2Harrell
Explorer | Level 3

The device is Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 with latest android updates.  It happens with all my word files or if I create a new word doc.

DieBaum
Helpful | Level 5

I can save the files to OneDrive without any problems. 

Still doesn't work in Dropbox....

I need Dropbox though due to regulations at work. 

dana98501
Helpful | Level 5
Exactly the same thing is happening to me. Anytime I try to edit Word files in my Dropbox folder on my Android phone, it tells me that the file is "read only" and cannot be edited. This makes Dropbox nearly useless to me.

dana98501
Helpful | Level 5
How do I find that information?

purpletwilite
Explorer | Level 4

I also am having trouble with the same dropbox/microsoft 365 issue. it is making my tablet pretty much useless at the moment, as I work on the tablet and then use dropbox to transfer it to my home computer later on. I hate to switch to a different provider, like onedrive, because I usually don't have any problems with dropbox, but I guess I might have to switch if this problem persists. I wish they would figure it out.

marloweloy
Helpful | Level 6
I'm having the same issue. When saving it says, "Can't Edit. This file is read-only, first save a copy of the file." and in fact is it already a new copy. Tried clearing cache, reinstalled Excell and Dropbox yet its happening to my android devices.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @marloweloy, thanks for posting here today! 

When you edit your Excel files, do you open the Dropbox app, and then tap the Excel file to open it there, or do you use Excel to open the files there directly?

If you could also clarify the version of the app you use on your mobile, and also send me a screenshot of the error message, that'd be amazing. 

Thanks a bunch! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

david u.4 Helpful | Level 5
    DrVJMJ Collaborator | Level 9
What do Dropbox user levels mean?