cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can't save files from Office365-app to Dropbox - supposedly write protected

can't save files from Office365-app to Dropbox - supposedly write protected

DieBaum
Helpful | Level 5

Hello there!

Starting yesterday all of a sudden I can't save files to my Dropbox via the Office 365-app anymore. I get a message telling me that the file is write protected, which it isn't. It tells me to save a copy, when trying to do that I get the same error message.
Up until the day before yesterday everything worked like a charm. I haven't knowingly changed anything about my smartphone's configuration, no new apps etc.
Had anyone ever experienced this issue?
Any ideas on how to solve it?
Thank you!

Andy

139 Replies 139

DrVJMJ
Collaborator | Level 9

I just checked my phone and agree with you that the problem seems to have been solved. As of today May 30 at 10:00 a.m. Pacific time I am now again able to create files on my Z-fold 3 using the Word app and save them to Dropbox, open files through the Word app from Dropbox change them and save them back with a new name. I even emailed myself a Word file and opened it using Word then saved it back to Dropbox with a new name. Not once did I see the dreaded read-only message! Of course, you can be sure we will let you know if this solution is only temporary!

So while I am holding my breath, at least for now it seems the problem is solved! That's wonderful! My hat is off to Megan and Hannah and others on the Dropbox support team for persisting on this.  

A loyal Dropbox user!

Jim

marloweloy
Helpful | Level 6
Yes I have tried creating a new Doc and tried saving it and it all works now. It takes few seconds to save though. Could you try restarting your phone maybe? When was the last time you did a power cycle?

marloweloy
Helpful | Level 6
We can all now have a good sleep. At some point I have been saving it using one drive since I have a free terabytes space from them but Dropbox is way better for me.

dluptonmd
Collaborator | Level 9
I can't sleep yet. Problem persists. I have restarted phone several times. I'll try a reinstall of word app. Thx.

david u.4
Helpful | Level 5
I reinstalled the word app and then, as in the past, the app works, I can create and save a new word doc to Dropbox, for a few minutes. And I can reopen it and edit it and save it. Then, a few minutes later, when I try to create a new doc in word again, in the middle of creating it (with the default save set to Dropbox) the read only message pops up. And the word app continues to create read only docs from that point on. Are you all creating your new docs in your word app, setting dropbox as your default save, and then saving successfully?

DrVJMJ
Collaborator | Level 9
Yes I can open Word on my phone create a new document and save it to Dropbox with no problem. It also adds the document to the word list of recent docs.

By the way, I don't know how to set Dropbox as the default location. On my phone One drive is the default so I have to choose it manually each time using the drop-down menu.

david u.4
Helpful | Level 5
When I reinstalled the word app and 'saved (it) as' a new test document, it gave me the option to set whatever location I wished as the default location, but when you reinstall the app and create and save as a new doc you first have to follow the prompts to add 'another location.' Dropbox was listed as another location, at least for me. Thx.

david u.4
Helpful | Level 5
Actually, most of the time, when I select a different location to save to, and I select a different location, say Dropbox, from the menu, I get a message asking me if I want to set this new location as default.

DrVJMJ
Collaborator | Level 9
Wish I got that option!!!

david u.4
Helpful | Level 5
Now, finally, as of tonight, back to normal, at least for a few hours Dr VJMJ try saving word doc, if you haven't already, not with the checkmark, but by hitting the three dots at upper right, then click 'save as' which should then bring up a list of your options, and click on Dropbox. That might work, might eliminate a step.
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

david u.4 Helpful | Level 5
    DrVJMJ Collaborator | Level 9
What do Dropbox user levels mean?