cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How set up three app's on different devices so I can automatically continue changing a text.

can't save files from Office365-app to Dropbox - supposedly write protected

DieBaum
Helpful | Level 5

Hello there!

Starting yesterday all of a sudden I can't save files to my Dropbox via the Office 365-app anymore. I get a message telling me that the file is write protected, which it isn't. It tells me to save a copy, when trying to do that I get the same error message.
Up until the day before yesterday everything worked like a charm. I haven't knowingly changed anything about my smartphone's configuration, no new apps etc.
Had anyone ever experienced this issue?
Any ideas on how to solve it?
Thank you!

Andy

139 Replies 139

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Willem3, I'd like a couple of screenshots, if possible. 

Can you send me one of the error messages you get, when you try to edit your content, and another one of the warning you get when you open your Dropbox app, please? 

Also, you mentioned that you downloaded "Dropbox: Documenten in Drive", can you send me a screenshot of the app that you have installed too? 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Willem3
Explorer | Level 4

Hello Megan,

Thanks for your reaction.

It looks like the problem is resolved. I think it was caused by the fact that I was working with an old word app. Installing Office 365 on my tablet seems to have resolved the problem.

This has not completely resolved all the problems. These occur when Dropbox is slow and I am too fast. I have never had this problem in the past. I think Dropbox's policy for the speed of free accounts has changed.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Willem3, I can reassure you that we haven't changed anything in regards to how Dropbox Basic accounts interact with their files. 

When you say that not all your problems are resolved, do you mean that you still get the same errors, just not as often? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Willem3
Explorer | Level 4

I got them yesterday but not today. So, I have my doubts if everything is resolved. 

Willem

dluptonmd
Collaborator | Level 9
I still cannot create a document on my s20 ultra note using the word app and save it to Dropbox without it resulting in a read only document. When I save/create a copy per instructions, it also results in a read only doc. The only way to get a working new doc into Dropbox with the word app is to create a new doc and save it to device docs and then share it with Dropbox. This is an impossible situation which no one is doing anything about, though other people have reported the same problem per this thread and others.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @dluptonmd  and everyone else that's still having this issue.

Have you reached out to Microsoft for more info about this? And if so, what did they get back to you with, please?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

dluptonmd
Collaborator | Level 9
No response except uninstall app, etc. Then dead silence. Doesn't seem like they care, or they just want you to switch to one drive which works perfectly. No problem with it.

DrVJMJ
Collaborator | Level 9

Exactly the same thing is ALSO happening to me.  I have an Android phone with both Excel & Word installed and Dropbox mobile app.  For YEARS I have been able to easily retrieve and same files from my private Dropbox folders either through the MS apps OR open them directly from the Dropbox app and after editing save them directly from the MS apps back to Dropbox.  It's been a dream.  But within the last couple of months when I open either through the MS apps OR through the Dropbox app, I can edit them but the message pops up that the file is READ ONLY and says I must SAVE A COPY or DISMISS.  When I try to save, it acts as if it is saving and from then on even includes the file name in the list of recent files within either MS app. BUT the file has NOT been saved in Dropbox at all!  Like the others on this thread, I CAN easily save the file to OneDrive or even Box.  So either Dropbox has screwed up the interface or MS is locking Dropbox out!  But surely this can be solve?

HELP!

DrVJMJ
Collaborator | Level 9

Megan,

The problem occurs regardless of whether you open the file from the MS apps OR from the Dropbox app.

Please help us!

DrVJMJ
Collaborator | Level 9

Yes I get the big red X next to Dropbox too!  Never had that before...for years!  It's making Dropbox useless since I do so much with it on my Android....foldable.

Need more support?